Ruger Forum banner

New (to me) LC9... trigger question

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Rat 
#1 ·
Just picked up an LC9 and am really enjoying it so far. Because this is the only one I've ever tried the trigger on, I've got a question for you folks that have one... about 3/4 of the way through the stroke, I feel a very minor 'hitch' almost as if a spring is binding ever so briefly. Just curious if this is normal or not?

I've had the thing apart and I cant, for the life of me, figure out what is causing it.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

#5 ·
I just did some dry firing on my LC9. On a regular trigger pull I don't really feel anything. When I slowly pull the trigger I can feel a slight something about in the area you're describing and like yours it disappears if I release the trigger.

I think it has something to do with how the blocker lever (part #9 in the user's manual) operates.

Can't say that I ever really noticed it happening until you posted about yours.

I don't think it's anything to be concerned with though.

#8 · (Edited)
If you look at it carefully, the firing pin block starts to move about where you are feeling the "hitch". Take the slide off and push up on the blocker to see if its smooth. I'll bet it isn't. You can help a bit by just pushing it up and down about a bazillion times with something like a popsicle stick. Put just a VERY small amount of oil on it as you do this.

If, and ONLY IF, you are comfortable with disassembling the gun completely, you can also take the blocker out by removing the rear sight. Do it slowly and carefully, and move the sight from right to left as you look down the barrel. You start to uncover the blocker hole. When you do, move slowly again to avoid losing the pin and spring that are holding the blocker down. Once you have the blocker out, polish it, and polish the blocker bore a bit. Try moving the blocker a few times to see that it is smooth. Then reassemble.

Now look at the blocker pin lifter on the grip. Is it rough? If so, smooth it carefully, then polish it also. Then reassemble the gun and I think you'll find the hitch pretty much gone.

You can tune this a bit more if you want by using a lighter spring on the blocker (see Galloway Precision), or, if you buy a couple of spare springs from the Ruger Store, you can experiment with shortening the spring to reduce the tension on the blocker. You can also mess around with the spring on the blocker lifter, but I've found there's very little return on messing with it. You probably will not be able to tell the difference changing it, but it is measureable. I suspect that with polishing and some experimenting with springs, you'll find that you can make the trigger pull very smooth, start to finish.

But it'll still be really l o n g. That's another issue entirely.

BTW, the magazine safety should have almost nothing to do with trigger feel. Once the magazine is in place, the safety plate is moved out of the way of the trigger and there is really little or no contact between those two parts. I've played a bit with mine with the safety plate removed and find no difference in trigger weight or smoothness either way.

#11 ·
Also make sure the trigger bar or transfer bar channel is clean and dry. Too much lube can cause issues with the trigger bar not fully seating into the hammer and it may be popping out slightly. Hard to describe and I don't have pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.