Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a couple year old mini 14....just wondering what you guys find the most accurate round and bullet weight threw it. I realize all guns are differant but msybe well see a pattern. Bought stuff to start reloading for it so will be working up a load and bullet weight is open to testing. Thanks

·
Banned
513 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Most likely your Mini is a 1 in 9" twist, all of the newer ones are ( and 1 in 10" for the Mini-30). Mine did well with the 77 grain Sierra Matchking, but not all 1 in 9" twist barrels will. Most all will handle a 68 (Hornady) or 69 (Sierra). Try some Black Hills, or Australian Outback, both of those companies load those Match bullets. After you get into reloading for the .5.56 you can see some real accuracy gains as you can tailor the powder charge to your individual gun. My 195 series Mini had some "improvements" but I found a load with the 77 grain SMK (Sierra MatchKing) that would do 1 inch for 5 shots at 100 yards. I had a couple loads with lighter 55 grain varmint bullets that would do just as good. Those were the Sierra Blitzking and Hornady V-Max. Things that help enhance accuracy with the Mini's are a trigger job, strut, adding weight to the muzzle like a flash hider, cutting an inch or two off the barrel and re crown it, bedding stock if your stock doesn't fit the action snugly. But most important is reducing the excessive gas that runs the action to more reasonable levels. Putting a smaller hole gas bushing in, and using buffers on the ends of the op-rod, will tone down the gas required to work the action. Less violent slamming will improve accuracy, be easier on the gun parts and shooter, on what ever optics you have mounted, and less dinged up brass for when you reload. And brass will be ejecting from 8 to 12 feet rather than 35-40 feet, making it easier to find that brass.
Get a few hundred rounds of decent ammo like PMC or Federal Eagle through your Mini first to get it broken in, then try some of that factory ammo loaded with a Match bullet. If you ever notice accuracy falling off, clean the bore with a copper solvent like Sweet's 7.62. (Just don't leave it in the bore overnight).
Here is a link to a chart that tells twist rates for various years of the Mini's production:
Sunflower Ammo.com: Ruger Mini-14/30 Barrel Twist Rates
And a few obligatory pics of my Mini's !

·
Registered
488 Posts
i never had the advantage of being a re loader. no one to learn from, and absolutely no room for the equipment.

i had to experiment with various factory brands. black hills and hornady always shot consistently. my fave and best accuracy for my 580 was hornady v-max...but unfortunately......$cha-ching$....:eek:

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Mini 14 has been a favorite of mine and I've owned a shameful number of them over the years. Never had the heavy barrel model so I can't speak to that one.

The standard skinny barrels shoots well from a cold barrel and perhaps two or three rounds later, but the guys take them out to the range and blast away until the little barrel gets smoking hot, then it whips around like a limp noodle and accuracy is gone.

I loaded 55 grain bullets and prefer IMR 4895 powder loading for the Mini 14. Never had a malfunction that wasn't traced back to aftermarket magazines. I use Ruger mags, only.

The rifle has a neat reverse piston actuator where the piston stays stationary and the cylinder moves with the operating rod. It's simple and very effective!

Do not be tempted to remove the gas block. With 4 Phillips head screws attaching it, it's tempting to remove it. Feeding issues can be caused by misalignment of the gas block.

It's a fun rifle!

Flash

·
Exalted One
1,814 Posts
Just picked up a couple year old mini 14....just wondering what you guys find the most accurate round and bullet weight threw it. I realize all guns are differant but msybe well see a pattern. Bought stuff to start reloading for it so will be working up a load and bullet weight is open to testing. Thanks
There is a reasonably good article about bullet weight and twist rates here:
How to Pair Barrel Twist Rates with Bullets - Guns & Ammo
Being that your Mini-14 is "a couple of years old", it is most likely a 1:9 twist rate. Sandog's earlier link to Sunflower Ammo should tell you what twist rate your rifle is.

While the gunsandammo article addresses specific manufactures, I would generally use it as a rough guide as to bullet weight and go from there. The folks here are pretty darn knowledgeable about specifics. My Mini is a 181-series and has a 1:10 twist rate. According to the article from gunsandammo, it should handle 55-62gr bullets fine. I generally stick to 55gr NATO M193 or PMC Bronze .223, which works wonderfully for my purposes. Mind you, I'm not a target shooter or a hunter, and I don't reload. I just like to shoot inanimate objects and maintain a reasonable degree of proficiency, improving on it along the way.
I love the smell of cordite in the morning...:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts