Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking this up tomorrow. 2014 582 prefix serial. Comes with a Sun Optic 3-9x32ir scope(might put a red dot on it) green hogue stock as well as the original black stock. Also, two five round and three ten round mags. I live behind enemy lines in Connecticut so standard capacity mags and scary features in a rifle are a felony.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One owner who says he never fired it and kept it in his safe. Looks like it is in really nice shape.

·
Righteous Dude
21,487 Posts
Looks good to me! I have the same stock on my Mini-30 and really like it. Have fun with your new rifle!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition, and welcome to the forum !
Minis and red dots go together like pizza and beer.
Scopes, any scope, adds too much weight and messes with the Minis great handling and balance.
I only use a scope for load testing, as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I can shoot as well at 100 yards with a dot as I can with a scope, and the dot is good enough to hit C-O-M at 300 yards and beyond.
Add the dot is much faster to get on target, and much better in low light.

Avoid cheap dots, some don't hold zero and go through a lot of batteries.
Expect to spend at least $200 for a good RDS like the Vortex Venom or Burris FastFire III.
There are some exceptions, a Primary Arms micro dot is right at $100, and they hold up great, another sub $100 dot that many run is the Bushnell TRS-25. Some have had issues with their TRS-25 but Bushnell will send you a new one.

I prefer the small T.V. screen micro dots like the FastFire. All 3 of my Mini-30's have them:

Some of the tube style dots mare almost as big and heavy as a scope. This Aimpoint Pro was nice, but was massive compared to a FastFire or Venom, and sat up way too high, even on the Ultimak rail:

I had a Hogue stock for a while. I like the green color, but it was heavier, thicker and too "grabby" compared to the Ruger synthetic factory stock. It tends to grab your shirt when you are shouldering the carbine.
Here is the Hogue I had, with metal done in FDE Cerakote:

I like the Ruger stock much better, light, slim, stiff and grabby only where you need it, where the checkering is.
I just prefer a color other than black, so I Cerakote my Ruger stocks in FDE or Sage green.

I find a synthetic stocked Mini with red dot to be a perfect rig for SD, SHTF or just plain fun. Although I have had at one time, or could have just about anything, I prefer my Mini-30s over everything else I've tried.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Going to pick it up in an hour. I’ll see which stock I like and decide if I leave the scope on or go red dot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Exalted One
1,625 Posts
Mamiela, welcome to the forum from Central VA!

Some 582-series had problems with the bolts. Hopefully, yours isn't one of them. If it is, Ruger will make it well, at no cost to you other than time. If yours isn't one, CONGRATS!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Change to black stock. Like the look better than the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mamiela, welcome to the forum from Central VA!

Some 582-series had problems with the bolts. Hopefully, yours isn't one of them. If it is, Ruger will make it well, at no cost to you other than time. If yours isn't one, CONGRATS!!!!

Do tell what to look for?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the mini dialed in. Hit 12” plate at 200 yards consistently. Coyotes don’t stand a chance wit the is rifle.

·
Righteous Dude
21,487 Posts
Harris and Caldwell bipods are generally good to go. Magpul has a bipod thats solid. You will likely need to add a rail or sling stud to be able to attach the bipod (generally on the stock).

Sounds like you're making solis shots at distance with your new rifle! :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Big high mounted scopes and bipods are things we all have probably done to our Mini's at first, you'll come around eventually and appreciate the Mini for what it is, instead of trying to make it into something it's not.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Big high mounted scopes and bipods are things we all have probably done to our Mini's at first, you'll come around eventually and appreciate the Mini for what it is, instead of trying to make it into something it's not.
What Sandog said! The Mini's prime advantage is that it's a light, compact carbine. Improved iron sights from TechSights or a small red dot mounted on a Ultimak rail forward of receiver is the best choice to keep your Mini what it's best at, being a carbine.

For instance, I use TechSight's Mini200 rear sight with a target aperture and a thinned front sight blade to shoot at bowling pins at 200yds with. With practice, you can do it too and it's a ton of fun and keeps the carbine true to it's roots.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Can you have Pre ban magazines in CT?
I live in MA and pre 1994 mags are OK
If so, then try some aftermarket pre bans. There are many to choose from and reliability is hit or miss. I like the federal ordnance/PMI mags.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
mamiela, many that are new to the Mini try to make it into a DMR, or "sniper rifle" and turn a fast handling, joy to carry Mini into something that's much more clumsy, unwieldy, heavy and not at all suited for having to shoot at something close in or engaging multiple targets.
As an example, check out the Mini in this guys thread. Is it more accurate than a standard configured Mini ? Probably, a bit, but at what cost ?
(His pics don't show up in the first reply, but there are several pics of it and his M1A further down in reply #14 )
https://rugerforum.net/ruger-semi-auto/354034-mini-14-its-big-brother.html
Look at his rifle pics, and then look at CoSteve's Mini-14 and M1A on the second page.
I know which ones I'd rather have, and it isn't the pimped out ones with the sharp edged stocks and huge optics.
You can do all this to a Mini, big scope, uncomfortable stock and bipod, for just a tiny bit of accuracy gain, and make it useless for just about any other use but sniping prairie dogs or punch holes in a paper target.

I used a forward mounted Nikon 2-8.5x pistol scope (forward mounting on the Ultimak rail keeps the scope nice and low and out of the way of the action) and a bipod to try to connect on prairie dogs with my Mini-14. It helped, but even with my 1 1/2 MOA Mini, 200 yards was about as far as I could consistently hit them. (They aren't big animals)
In contrast, the Remington R-15 in .243 and 4-14x Minox scope shown next to it, a 3/4 MOA rifle, could consistently hit them to 400 yards. A rig much better suited for the "precision" role.

We see countless threads here and on the "other" Mini forum, perfectunion, where guys try to turn a lightweight fast handling Mini into something it is not, a precision long range rig, then they complain that the rifle is still not capable of touching all the bullets together at 100 yards plus.
Hey, it's your money, but we're just trying to save you money, time and frustration, as we've all been there.

Do the usual accuracy mods, i.e., buffers, reduced gas bushing, trigger job, shim the stock if necessary, and then find the load, or loads that shoot the best in your Mini.
If your eyes are still young, stick with the iron sights, or at most, mount a 1 ounce micro dot like the FastFire on it.
A lot of guys, probably mostly younger guys, grew up shooting nothing but scopes, and have always shot off a bench rest and sandbags.
When it comes down to protecting yourself and loved ones, you aren't going to have a bench handy, or have time to lay down and use a bipod.
And if you have to take out several bad guys at close range that big scope is not going to be a help but is going to be a very big handicap.

So get out and get good with your iron sights, and shooting from unsupported positions.
Off hand, kneeling and prone. You'd be surprised how well you can do from prone with a sling wrapped around your arm, as well as you could with a bipod.
Just like many of us were trained to do in the Army ( and Marines).
I can honestly say that from a career as an Infantryman in the Army, and hunting big game in the northern Rockies for decades, the times I've felt the need for a bipod have been...zero.
The only time I used a bipod have been shooting small varmints at distance, and only then because I had all the time in the world to get a shot off, and the grass was too tall to shoot prone with a sling.

Get your Mini shooting the best, with loads that it really likes, and you'll be able to hit a 4 inch gong at 200 yards consistently. Hitting a 12 inch gong at 200 is something that you should be able to do easily without a scope or bipod to help you.
Don't be like many and use magnification and a bipod as a crutch, work on your skills instead.

This is what can be done from prone with a red dot ( no magnification).
Sure, a scope would allow me to get out further than 300 yards, but at the expense of a much heavier, bulkier, poor handling carbine that wouldn't be near as effective for sub 300 yard shooting.

·
Exalted One
1,625 Posts
Don't do this to your precious Mini. Makes it more like an M240 semi-auto, heavy, unwieldy.

Unless all you're going to do is lay down and plink and not move around...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you have Pre ban magazines in CT?
I live in MA and pre 1994 mags are OK
If so, then try some aftermarket pre bans. There are many to choose from and reliability is hit or miss. I like the federal ordnance/PMI mags.

10 round anything else is felony rap with prison time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The mini is not my first line of defense rifle. I have a different firearm for that. This rifle for now is coyote hunting and if I move to Florida and the scary black guns are banned I can still have this to turn into a defensive rifle. So for now I will leave the scope on it and try to knock down some yotes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts