Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well last monday I picked up a pre-owned unfired No.1H Tropical in .375 H&H for $715.00 out the door. I've always wanted a .375 and the No. 1 is one of my favorite rifles so I just had to have it. So far I've put about 20 rounds through it and am very pleased with my purchase, it is dead on out to 100 yards and recoil really isn't that bad at all. My reloading dies will be here tomorrow afternoon and I plan to start working up a load then. I am also very impressed with the figure in the stock on this rifle, every other No.1 I've seen has had plain old straight grained wood. My plans are to use this rifle purely as a range toy as I cannot hunt with a centerfire rifle in ohio, and currently can't afford to travel to hunt. Maybe someday though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
NICE!!!! Did you get this gun from Jaqua's Fine Guns Inc??? I had been eyeballing this gun for while. Great job!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,
I have the same .... welcome.
It's a very pleasant rifle to shoot and to look at....
And it's very, very accuracy ....
A very good choice !

·
Registered
134 Posts
Again Congrats! I'm also looking at a 25-06, which is the caliber I want. I thought about it too much about how I would use the 375. How bad is the recoil?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again Congrats! I'm also looking at a 25-06, which is the caliber I want. I thought about it too much about how I would use the 375. How bad is the recoil?
It's not too bad but I can't really think of anything to compare it too either.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations mate, fine looking #1.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Kyle;
That is a beautiful rifle!

However, I am going to disagree with you about the recoil. I have some serious experience with the .375 H&H Magnum in a Model 70 Winchester that weighs nearly ten pounds. The extra weight is a PLUS, not a minus, when it comes to the heavy recoil of a .375 H&H.

The first summer I had it I fired just under 1000 rounds of full house jacketed loads. I learned to manage it and DID shoot it well but it took disciplined effort.

Here is an amusing incident:
I was practicing for an upcoming black bear hunt in Canada. Now, a .375 is not really needed for black bear, but, like the O.P. I live in Ohio. No rifles may be used for big game in Ohio. I had had the .375 for some time and had never shot any game with it. So, I elected to use it for the bear hunt. I was practicing rapid fire offhand. Unknown to me a gentleman was taking movies of me shooting. This was in the days before digital cameras. When the film was developed we had a movie preview. I had on a ball cap and every time I fired that rifle the cap stood straight up on my head. Immediately after the recoil the hat settled back down on my head. It got a lot of laughs from my fellow club members when then movie was shown.

Don't talk to me about "little recoil"....

By the way, I DID get my bear, a nice representative example and we ate everything except the toe nails. One shot to the shoulder at 25 yards and he was DRN!! The bullet penetrated diagonally accross his body for 30 inches and was found just under the hide on his off hip. As good as it gets.

I just recently gifted my son-in-law with the rifle and he will take an Elk with it this fall, if everything goes well.

Again, that Ruger #1 is a BEAUTIFUL rifle. I have always admired the Ruger #1 Tropical!

Dale53

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Kyle;

However, I am going to disagree with you about the recoil. I have some serious experience with the .375 H&H Magnum in a Model 70 Winchester that weighs nearly ten pounds. The extra weight is a PLUS, not a minus, when it comes to the heavy recoil of a .375 H&H.

The first summer I had it I fired just under 1000 rounds of full house jacketed loads. I learned to manage it and DID shoot it well but it took disciplined effort.

Here is an amusing incident:
I was practicing for an upcoming black bear hunt in Canada. Now, a .375 is not really needed for black bear, but, like the O.P. I live in Ohio. No rifles may be used for big game in Ohio. I had had the .375 for some time and had never shot any game with it. So, I elected to use it for the bear hunt. I was practicing rapid fire offhand. Unknown to me a gentleman was taking movies of me shooting. This was in the days before digital cameras. When the film was developed we had a movie preview. I had on a ball cap and every time I fired that rifle the cap stood straight up on my head. Immediately after the recoil the hat settled back down on my head. It got a lot of laughs from my fellow club members when then movie was shown.

Don't talk to me about "little recoil"....

By the way, I DID get my bear, a nice representative example and we ate everything except the toe nails. One shot to the shoulder at 25 yards and he was DRN!! The bullet penetrated diagonally accross his body for 30 inches and was found just under the hide on his off hip. As good as it gets.

I just recently gifted my son-in-law with the rifle and he will take an Elk with it this fall, if everything goes well.

Again, that Ruger #1 is a BEAUTIFUL rifle. I have always admired the Ruger #1 Tropical!

Dale53
Maybe it has something to do with being 6' 3" and 275lbs. that helps me with the recoil, but to be honest I have shot 12 gauge slug guns that kicked harder than this ruger. It weighs in right at 10lbs. But I also agree that everyone has there own tolerance of recoil.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Greetings Kyle,

I have a stainless #1 in 416 RCM. Glad to see you reload, and I just wanted to suggest you try some cast bullets for your 375. That would reduce the recoil, and save some bucks on those jacketed bullets.

moondog911 :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greetings Kyle,

I have a stainless #1 in 416 RCM. Glad to see you reload, and I just wanted to suggest you try some cast bullets for your 375. That would reduce the recoil, and save some bucks on those jacketed bullets.

moondog911 :cool:
I've looked into some cast bullet loads, it seems alot of people are having good luck with 245 gr. .379 lead bullets for the .38-55 in the .375 H&H No.1's using 49.0grs. of IMR4895.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Purty rifle!! Makes me want another No.1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice gun i had a 375h&h as well i would load trailboss in my shells and give my buddy's full house loads.nice to watch them indeed do the same in my 45-70's. congrats on a nice gun.
kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well my dies showed up tonight and I was able to load up a couple of rounds with a 300gr. hornady soft point over 68.0grs. of IMR 4350. After firing them I decided I really like it and proceded to load up 40 rounds, I ended up with 39 in the end as I accidentally set my seating die to low and crushed the neck on one case. Oh well accidents happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kyle;

Dale53
I agree ! " The extra weight is a PLUS" :)
I 'm the owner of a Winch 70 Safari Express and Ruger #1 Tropical , the both .375 H&H, and few time ago I owned a .458WM.:D

·
Registered
947 Posts
I used to have a Ruger No.1 chambered for .220 Swift. Damn, that round was so fast that the hole was in the target before you could pull the trigger. It was a accurate rifle with an exceptionally beautiful grained piece of wood for the stock. Like a dummy, I traded it in on another gun back in the early 90s....kinda' wished I held onto it.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Great looking rifle. I have an older red pad 375. You'll love it. It is a great shooting gun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts