Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a complete cleaning of the dirtiest gun ever. This p-89 is the safety model. What I have found is that it can be cocked and the hammer stay back when the safety is on. So upon more investigation I have found the trigger will also work the action when the safety is on. Anyone got an idea what's up with this? According to the serial # it was made in 1993. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Something in the safety mechanism isn't right. It should drop the hammer when you activate the safety (no "cocked & locked" on a P-89).

Since this is a major safety item, I'd call Ruger and at least get suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks eastman, I believe it has some worn parts so a call to Ruger is on the todo list.

·
Registered
852 Posts
yeah ...........thats not supposed to be a cocked & locked pistol.....get that thing checked!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I could be as simple as a need for a thorough disassembly and cleaning.

There is a lot of action inside that slide. As an example, there is a little spring loaded plunger under the rear sight. It can get gunked up or the plunger can tip over during a rear sight change. If that happens, you get a dead pistol (hammer can't lock back and won't fire DA).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could be as simple as a need for a thorough disassembly and cleaning.

There is a lot of action inside that slide. As an example, there is a little spring loaded plunger under the read sight. It can get gunked up or the plunger can tip over during a rear sight change. If that happens, you get a dead pistol (hammer can't lock back and won't fire DA).
The rear sight is an adjustable aftermarket unit so it has been messed with. I have found that if I pull the trigger about 3 or 4 times with the safety on, the trigger bar that is under the safety lever will work itself up and behind the safety lever and of course then the trigger is activated and the hammer will work as if the safety is off. The left side safety lever seems to have a lot of lateral play. If I hold the safety against the slide it works as it should. I think its time for a call to Ruger.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will buy it from you, how much? I have assembled 6 1911s from parts sets, don't know anything about Rugers, but I like fixing guns!

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Something isn't right, better call Ruger as others have said

1 - 9 of 9 Posts