Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The slide is plum and has a lot of holster wear, and the decock levers seem to need the springs replaced because they tend to sag instead of springing all the way back up. But this 2001 model works like a champ. I went from the FFL straight to the range without cleaning it, just some lube, and went through 117 rounds flawlessly. 100 FMJ and 17 Hornady Critical Duty.

I generally prefer metal guns, but this is solid and reasonably well balanced. The trigger isn't as glassy smooth as my P94, but my P94 seemed practically new when I got it and this thing's been to hell and back. Other than the trigger they shoot pretty much the same.

I love it when the first targets from a new gun just chew the center out of the bullseye. These were at various distances from 4 to 20 yards (mostly 7 yards).

My cheap-o postal scale shows the P95 at 3 oz less than the P94, both weighed without magazines inserted. It could just be the Hogue grips, but the P95's grip feels a little more slim.

Haven't decided if I'll refinish the slide, the plum color doesn't bother me that much, and the wear marks give it character. I have a quote for $79 to Duracoat it professionally so it's something to think about.

For $230 plus shipping and transfer fee I think I did ok.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
JohnR ... Congrats on your new to you P95 and nice shooting. Sounds like you did just fine :)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Great score mate.
Congratulations.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Nice find and nice shooting.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The P-series guns have become more appreciated since production of them has ceased. I'm not sure you can actually wear one of them out.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here's how tough the P-series is. I mentioned that the decocker lever didn't spring all the way back up. On disassembly, it turned out that the spring, which is shaped somewhat like a bobby pin, was completely broken at the main bend. A quick call to Ruger had a replacement on the way to me.

So the P95 still functions fine with a broken decocker spring. :cool:

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Well done sir. It's a very nice find and a good shooter at that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well, here's how tough the P-series is. I mentioned that the decocker lever didn't spring all the way back up. On disassembly, it turned out that the spring, which is shaped somewhat like a bobby pin, was completely broken at the main bend. A quick call to Ruger had a replacement on the way to me.

So the P95 still functions fine with a broken decocker spring. :cool:
So they are sending you the part for free ? And are they still covering it as "warranty" work ? If so then this is great ! Please let us know .

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New decocker spring installed (yes, for free), the levers still don't spring up all the way. You can push them up, but spring action alone doesn't do it. Now I wonder if the levers are worn. I could disassemble two guns and compare parts wear, if I'm in the mood for it.

Anyone have this happen? Makes me wonder how many tens of thousands of rounds this gun has seen? I'm not complaining, it may just need two new parts, and it still shoots great. I'd just like it to function as close to new as possible.

·
Registered
234 Posts
New decocker spring installed (yes, for free), the levers still don't spring up all the way. You can push them up, but spring action alone doesn't do it. Now I wonder if the levers are worn. I could disassemble two guns and compare parts wear, if I'm in the mood for it.

Anyone have this happen? Makes me wonder how many tens of thousands of rounds this gun has seen? I'm not complaining, it may just need two new parts, and it still shoots great. I'd just like it to function as close to new as possible.
Yes ! I had this happen to a used P95 decocker-only just like yours. I got it used and after bringing it home I noticed the levers sagging downward just a little. It bothered me a lot to see it sagging but it functioned just fine. I found a wrote-up on the internet about this problem. If I remember correctly , if you dont put the "leaf spring" and the decocker levers in just right , they will sag a little. I took them out and then reassembled them and then it did not sag anymore. I will look and try to find the write up on it for you.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would appreciate that. Seems like the pin bend in the spring leaves no room for any other position.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm still looking . It may take a day or so between my kids , wife and work but I'll try and find it. I know that when you reassemble it you need to keep it held well in the hole while installing the little rod like thing that retains the leaf spring. I think the end of the leaf spring goes directly into the decocker lever and you need to jam that spring all the way into it and have that lever held correctly so that the hole in it will be aligned just right to recieve the spring.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I did find my old post on here when I had the problem. This is what I posted that I did that fixed the problem ...... "Nevermind guys I fixed it. When I put the leaf-spring back in , it wasnt in the little notch of the decocking lever ."

So try and make sure your spring is very well seated into the little hole on the decocking lever.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I'll check it. I remember seeing the spring protrude just slightly into the lever opening. I was just glad to have gotten the spring pin in place, that's a tricky operation until you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it. I remember seeing the spring protrude just slightly into the lever opening. I was just glad to have gotten the spring pin in place, that's a tricky operation until you get the hang of it.
Just remember to jam that spring really deep and all the way into the hole/slot in the decocker lever . And make sure it stays put exactly coreect while putting the spring retainer thing back on . It is a little tricky .

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It worked like a charm, thanks. The key is that the leaf spring has to go on the "lower" side of the lever assembly's cross-pin. "Lower" being defined as "when the slide is right side up." As you're looking at it on the bench, it's the "upper" side of the pin.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ah ha! got one of them newfangled plastic Rugers huh? oh my, there's no chassis or metal rails,it's just the slide riding on Rugerplastic. ya know John, after 50-60,000 rounds you might need to order a new frame. hehehehe. I'm looking for a P-345, got to be one in a pawnshop somewhere. have fun, good luck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It worked like a charm, thanks. The key is that the leaf spring has to go on the "lower" side of the lever assembly's cross-pin. "Lower" being defined as "when the slide is right side up." As you're looking at it on the bench, it's the "upper" side of the pin.
Awesome ! Glad it worked ! I wish I could have posted pictures cause I'm not to good at explaning things with words HAHA

1 - 20 of 20 Posts