Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just acquired a beautiful stainless police service six. Looks like a 1981 mfg date. Has N.P.D. Stamped on the left side. Anyone know of a way to track the travels of this gun? Would like to know the history and the location of the P.d. That issued it. Thanks for your help.
You can download a form from Ruger to get your gun "lettered" for $10. Search "Ruger letter of authenticity" download the PFD form & print it, fill it out and mail with $10. You give them the serial number and they will tell you the date of mfg. and where it was shipped and when. EDIT: Here' one I requested...I did a search and found a post on this forum from 2011 from a user named "Drawstring" doing an identical search on an identical Service Six marked N.P.D. He contacted Ruger and they couldn't tell him what it stood for. Could even be your gun?
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Welcome aboard. Pics are mandatory. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, that’s the stamp! Photos will come as soon as she gets out of waiting period jail🤬!
I have heard that a number of these went to Australian pd’s and then ended up coming back here. I would think if that were the case then there would have to be some sort of import marks. Nothing on this one but N.P.D. so probably not one of them. I will probably pop for the $10 spot and get what info I can via your suggestion. Thank you for that! Maybe I’ll try to track down “Drawstring” to see if he ever found anything.
Appreciate the help.
You can download a form from Ruger to get your gun "lettered" for $10. Search "Ruger letter of authenticity" download the PFD form & print it, fill it out and mail with $10. You give them the serial number and they will tell you the date of mfg. and where it was shipped and when. EDIT: Here' one I requested...I did a search and found a post on this forum from 2011 from a user named "Drawstring" doing an identical search on an identical Service Six marked N.P.D. He contacted Ruger and they couldn't tell him what it stood for. Could even be your gun? View attachment 171547

·
Registered
30 Posts
Probably Newark, NJ. Seen a few marked similarly from their trade in 30 years ago. Schellenger was the broker if I recall. They sold them to dealers in lots of 25 for $100 each. I bought two lots and sold them all at $200 each in just a couple months. Wish I had kept a few.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Almost forgot. I do have a trade in security six I got off Buds a year ago. Came with no grips, plenty of grime and fouling, plus scratches. Polished up nicely and fitted with a custom grip now. Came from a police trade in from Queensland, Australia. Still a deal for a 4" stainless 357 at $400 with free delivery. I should have bought 2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost forgot. I do have a trade in security six I got off Buds a year ago. Came with no grips, plenty of grime and fouling, plus scratches. Polished up nicely and fitted with a custom grip now. Came from a police trade in from Queensland, Australia. Still a deal for a 4" stainless 357 at $400 with free delivery. I should have bought 2.
Does this one have import marks?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just acquired a beautiful stainless police service six. Looks like a 1981 mfg date. Has N.P.D. Stamped on the left side. Anyone know of a way to track the travels of this gun? Would like to know the history and the location of the P.d. That issued it. Thanks for your help.
I stumbled across a very old S&W revolver recently with N.P.D. stamped on the back strap of the grip frame. It was stamped at the factory by S&W for the Northbridge Police Dept. in Northbridge Mass. This info came from a S&W letter. You could try contacting N.P.D. and inquiring.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The grips threw me it's an aftermarket Hogue.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Oh crap. I made a HUGE mistake! Took the new girl out to the range last week. Now I need an 2” SP101 to match!🤩
How about another Six Series like a Speed Six 2 3/4" 357? One more round and in my experience easier to be accurate with than my SP101 2.25" which I sold. I got a spare hammer to remove the spur and kept the original intact.
Revolver Sleeve Everyday carry Ammunition Material property

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts