Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I already owned a Redhawk 45 Colt. I made a trade today for a Redhawk 44mag and now the 45 Colt has a little brother. Not your traditional pair of six shooters but I like them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
May not be traditional, but they are very nice. Congrats.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Great trade. I am jealous. I'd love a .45 LC Redhawk to go with my .44 Redhawk.

·
Banned
308 Posts
I already owned a Redhawk 45 Colt. I made a trade today for a Redhawk 44mag and now the 45 Colt has a little brother. Not your traditional pair of six shooters but I like them.
Nice pairing!

I have never owned both .45 and .44mag at the same time. My remembering of firing my Model 29 many years ago was the cartridge was quite snappy, of that's even a phrase. Now days I switched over to all .45, and stout .45's seem much more pushy than snappy. Can you let me know if there is really a felt difference between the two when fired with similar powered loads?

Sorry for imprecise language.

Radio George

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wonder about the recoil impulse as well. I have an original vaquero in 44 mag and a blackhawk in 45 colt and the 44 seems snappier to me as well even though the 44 has a steel grip frame and the 45 has aluminum. Could be though that ive never really shot a hot 45 round through it that would be the equal of a factory 44 mag

·
Banned
308 Posts
I wonder about the recoil impulse as well. I have an original vaquero in 44 mag and a blackhawk in 45 colt and the 44 seems snappier to me as well even though the 44 has a steel grip frame and the 45 has aluminum. Could be though that ive never really shot a hot 45 round through it that would be the equal of a factory 44 mag
Thanks rorshach1980 that's the word I couldn't think of "recoil impulse".

It might have to do with the speed at which all the energy develops in one vs. the other. A snap happens right away where a push might take longer to do the same energy but feels more like a push.

Radio George

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shot the 44mag today with cowboy loads (200gr RNFP) and hunting loads (240gr JSP). With the cowboy loads I can't tell any difference between between the 45 Colt and the 44 mag. Both are ***** cats that even a kid could shoot all day. With heavier loads the difference is more pronounced. The 45 Colt feels like shooting a 45ACP 1911. Just a nice strong push. The 44mag feels like shooting a 10mm 1911. Snappier is the correct word. The amount of recoil feels very similar. It just seems to happen quicker with the 44mag.

Clear as mud?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Sweet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts