Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I fired my new to me No.1 in 45-70
As we all know the ammo in stores is scarce so my only option was Hornady 325gr FTX ammo.
The ammo left the barrel very dirty.
I am mostly a varmint shooter and never see a 22 caliber barrel this dirty.
Is this nature of the beast with big bores?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations HT.
Maiden voyages are always fun.
Don't know much about Hornady, in my .270 Win I use Remington.
Always relatively clean.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hairtrigger, I'm no expert and I haven't shot a .45-70 Govt. but I know it's a large cartridge and can hold a lot of powder. If you burn a lot of anything it usually leaves some residue behind and I would guess your experience is pretty normal. Hornady would not likely load a cheap, dirty powder. I have shot Hornady in my .375 Ruger and it leaves a good bit of residue to clean but I just attribute that to the large cartridge size and powder charge.

For comparison, a 22 Hornet may have 8 or 9 grains of powder. A .45-70 (Ruger #1) may have 40 - 55 grains of powder depending on load data, powder, bullet, etc.

You could try other ammo brands (when available) but I would guess you are seeing rather normal fouling.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have two No.1s in 45-70. One was custom built at Aspen Gun Works several years ago with a 28" octagonal heavy barrel. Barrels being a bit dirty seems to be the nature of the beast. I own four 45-70s and a 458x2 American, which is basically a hotrod 45-70 using a trimmed mag cartridge. You have chosen a tremendously wonderful and fun caliber to shot. With the No.1, you can load anything from light to hot, and have a great time. Enjoy the new rifle. No. 1s are fine weapons.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My #1 - 45/70 has been with me close to 4 years now. Long enough to take 4 deer and two elk and provide a lot of enjoyment in and out of the field.

Just put a new Leupold 2X7 CDS scope on it, so am pacing and waiting for Spring to get out and sight it in.

Bought the rifle to hunt with cast bullets, so "J" bullets are not in the picture.

I found that some powders were dirty then others, and a good crimp seemed to help a bit.

Forget which powders were the dirty ones, but I am now using H335 and it is just fine.

I am hunting with a 465gr WFN cast boolit at a velocity of about 1650fps and it is extremely deadly on the deer and elk.

A 355gr WFN at 2300fps was Waaaaaaay to much of a good thing, plus didn't provide the groups and consistancy of the heavier and slower boolit. Wound channel way beyond what is needed. NOT GOOD!

A friend did bring a nice buck to my shop this past Fall, for skinning, hanging and butchering. The critter was taken with a 45/70 Hornady FTX - "burger on the hoof" - "J" bullet, and the damage to meat was VERY BAD!!!!!!!!!!

Anything other then a behind the shoulders hit, or anything that involves meat or bone is going to be ugly with the gummy nose.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've found that Reloader 7 is an excellent powder in my 45-70 with standard jacketed bullets. I've not tried it with any of the FTX bullets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts