Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,
I have a new to me SP101 in .357 with extraction problems. While the piece has a 2016 manufacturing date, the ammo in question was some W-W 158 gr. LSWC, .357 Magnum from the 70's. The bullets have an almost orange color but I believe are lead, not jacketed. I deliberately picked this ammo to check the extraction and yes, I feel I have a problem.

Immediately after shooting I could move the extractor about 1/10 of an inch, by the time I walked from the 12 yard line to the 25 yard line and the bench I could pick the cases out with a finger nail; though, I don't know if I could have extracted them all at the same time. Arriving home an hour later, we took the scenic route, I find I can put the cases back in some of the chambers easily while some require some force and literally POP into place. Shooting .38 +P shows no problems with extraction.

Do I have some oversized chambers? The brass, on extraction, appears to be a bit larger starting a tenth of an inch from the base forward. I have one case that appears to have been fired in a smaller chamber and can be inserted and extracted individually, with some effort. I'm not sure how to handle this as I didn't get the SP101 new and I worry about returning it. As near as I could tell, it had not been sighted in but had been shot some. (The windage screw was stuck/ tight.) It does very well with .38 +p and plain .38 Special. I'd like to have it useful as a .357. Thanks for any replies.
Best,
Rob

P.S. Happy Father's Day

·
Exchequer
4,420 Posts
If the issue only happened with one particular type/brand of ammo, that might be the cause of the extraction problem. Have you tried it with other types/brands of .357 ammo? If not, you might want to do so.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the issue only happened with one particular type/brand of ammo, that might be the cause of the extraction problem. Have you tried it with other types/brands of .357 ammo? If not, you might want to do so.
Tried with several brands, all are sticky, too sticky to use.
Thanks ,
Rob

·
Registered
92 Posts
Going back to the mother ship.
The conditions you are describing are classic and common. It's caused from shooting. 38spl in a .357 revolver.

This crud ring left in the chambers is very difficult to remove. I know you said it was clean but this condition goes beyond "clean". It takes extreme measures to remove this crud ring.

I speak with such certainty as I have dealt with it on several revolvers.

See, everyone wants a .357...until they fire about 50 Magnum rounds through it. Then all of a sudden. 38spl sure is a more attractive alternative. Maybe they carry .357 for self defense and then use .38 to practice with. Those practices set up the crud rings that prevent extraction of the. 357 spent cases.

The last revolver that I had to clean up was a surplus police pistol. Years of range shooting with .38 wad cutter ammo. I literally peeled a fingernail back to the quick trying to remove spent magnum shells on my first range trip.

It took a bore brush chucked into a Dremel tool with solvent to finally get the crud rings out of the chambers. It took me 3 hours of intense work. Those crud rings go far beyond a normal cleaning.

This condition is so common that many revolver owners have dedicated. 38 spl and separate. 357 revolvers that they NEVER fire .38 through.

So, sending your revolver back is a solution. It's important that you understand what set up this condition though so you can avoid the problem in the future.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with Ingramite. Removing the ring takes time and persistence. I had an exLEO shotgun that has a severe leading problem in the 3” near the muzzle. About 3 hours with an electric drill, a bronze brush wrapped with bronze wool and a bottle of lead remover had the bore looking factory new.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the same situation with a 357 I inherited. I used a flex hone brush with some flex hone oil to run through the chambers of a used 357. You can use a drill but it doesn't have to be super fast, you just have to make sure the brush is lubricated. I'd dip it in the oil quite a bit, otherwise it will lessen the life of the brush. I only use 357 and the previous owner only used 38s.

Just remember that a Chamber brush is for the chamber and the Bore brush is for the bore. You can get this stuff on amazon fairly cheap, but in the past they have failed to identify which brushes were which in some of the listings. They should have it hashed out by now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’m thinking I’m only going to shoot magnums in my new prized gp100 5 inch. It eats them like Reese’s piece’s anyway! I don’t wanna deal with this issue!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts