Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally scored a nice used SP on Gunbroker to go with my GP.
Gun still had factory lube in it and cylinder latch was tight like it was brand new. Couldn't have had more than a box or 2 shot through it, may be not even that much.

Been to the range 3 times and have a few hundred rounds through it.

Man is this thing sweet! I didn't expect to enjoy shooting it as much as my GP but I was very wrong. Trigger is breaking in nice and I see no reason to change the grips as they fit both me and my wife's hand great. I picked up some grip panels from Chigsgrips am really digging the look.

I am looking into the LCR right now and may end up with a Ruger DA revolver "trifecta"

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I am looking into the LCR right now and may end up with a Ruger DA revolver "trifecta"
Nice. I have the LCR and GP. Guess I better start looking for an SP for my own trifecta. :D

·
Registered
995 Posts
That's one clean lookin revolver. Nice score!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Looks good! Just traded for one with a 3" barrel last week. Will be getting to the range by Wednesday. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I s'pose I have the trifecta, as well:

LCR 38 +P
LCR .22
SP 101 w/bobbed hammer

'Got the .22 for "cheap" practice. Not so cheap anymore, but still less than 38 sp or .357 magnum

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone
BTW the inserts are canary wood

Is it just me or are the factory spurred hammer models a little smoother in the trigger. I've dry fired 5 or 6 over the past few years and the DAO models just seem smother to me. Maybe they spend a little more time polishing them because the hammer is a little lighter and they want to ensure 100% ignition??...don't know but mine is really nice and smooth even though the pull is pretty stout. Hell of a nice CC gun even though it's a little heavy.

What are some good CC rigs for SP's?
IWB or OWB which one suits you?

·
Registered
188 Posts
the real "trifecta" is the 1. SP, 2. GP and 3. RedHawk/Super Redhawk

jd

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Very nice SP selection and a nice selection of panels from chigsgrips!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The 2"DAO SP101 is one of the best 357 snubs available. Ive owned one for years, and its a nice combination of size, power, and weight. Its a bit heavy at first, but once you start launching those hyper little pills out of it, you soon become thankful for that extra weight.

·
Banned
650 Posts
The 2"DAO SP101 is one of the bst 357 snubs available. Ive owned one for years, and its a nice combination of size, power, and weight. Its a bit heavy at first, but once you start launching those hyper little pills out of it, you soon become thankful for that extra weight.
Really from a 2.25" barrel your 357 is about the same as a 9mm with a 4" barrel (G19). Plus your SP101 is no lighter or easier to carry than a G19. I have a SP101 with a 3" barrel which is about the same as a 40cal with a 4" barrel. You really need a 4" barrel to get 357mag performance a 6" barrel is even better. Back in the day you didn't see a 357mag snub nose. The 357 was targeted to police officers. They wanted a gun with enough power to penetrate a pick up truck with a heavy body. Only recently since concealed carry has become more common that you see a 357mag snub nose. There is a demand and gun makers will meet that demand even though the buyer would be just as well served by a Beretta Nano with +P ammo.

What drove me to buy a SP101 is at the time I didn't trust semi auto pistols. I finally got a P95 that helped me right into a Glock (G19) and IDPA.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results

1 - 18 of 18 Posts