Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit that I'm not really a 1911 fan. I shoot them well but had a bad experience with another brand 1911 (lost confidence for carry after malfs in USPSA). However, i recently came on a deal too good to pass up. Seller got a good price and is moving back to the Lower 48 and passed the deal to me. Paid well below what has sold on GB lately and got a box of Buffalo Bore and SKB case to go with it. I've only put 50 rounds through it and have had minor issues but nothing major. Worst comes to worst, it becomes trade bait. Best case I have a nice gun that I enjoy shooting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My full size SR1911 is my favorite gun to shoot, has been exceptionally reliable and way more accurate than I can get the use from. And, at the end of the day, the only people who don't like shooting 1911's (assuming the one you have runs like it should) are those who have decided they didn't like it before shooting it. Let us know about your "minor" issues and maybe someone here can help get rid of those. Mine is over 3,000 rounds with 2 malfunctions. 1 was ammo, the other I expect was the shooter. (8 people have shot it to date)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My full size SR1911 is my favorite gun to shoot, has been exceptionally reliable and way more accurate than I can get the use from. And, at the end of the day, the only people who don't like shooting 1911's (assuming the one you have runs like it should) are those who have decided they didn't like it before shooting it. Let us know about your "minor" issues and maybe someone here can help get rid of those. Mine is over 3,000 rounds with 2 malfunctions. 1 was ammo, the other I expect was the shooter. (8 people have shot it to date)
The minor issues were one failure to feed with the Buffalo Bore and a few mags went dry but it didn't lock to the rear. May have been my grip as I was high on the gun and running it fast.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That's not bad IF the failure to lock back was you. One fail to feed in the first 50 is okay if it goes away quickly. Despite what some will say, most guns run better after a couple of 100 rounds.

On the fail to lock back, that is something to look into. Even running fast, the gun should lock open, unless you think you are holding down the slide release? Next time be cognizant of it and see what happens. And for that matter, see if it is on a particular magazine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that a 10mm, Anschutz? Those grips and sights come on the SR1911-10.
It is the 10mm. First experience with one. I'll continue to flesh it out and if it proves reliable it may find a way into the woods with me but for now it'll be my Smith 627.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The M627 is a good choice for the woods. The SR1911-10 might be a better one. It offers better ballistics with the proper ammo and 1 more round (8+1) capacity. The 10mm is a breeze to reload with a variable range from mild to wild. Mine is a joy to shoot; I liked the 10mm so much I now also shoot an M610. Let us know what you think.
It is the 10mm. First experience with one. I'll continue to flesh it out and if it proves reliable it may find a way into the woods with me but for now it'll be my Smith 627.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The M627 is a good choice for the woods. The SR1911-10 might be a better one. It offers better ballistics with the proper ammo and 1 more round (8+1) capacity. The 10mm is a breeze to reload with a variable range from mild to wild. Mine is a joy to shoot; I liked the 10mm so much I now also shoot an M610. Let us know what you think.
I'd have to way more testing than just shooting them. Seems you can get wfn cast in similar weights with similar velocities but I'd think the sectional density of the 357 would provide more penetration. Probably too close to call, if I needed either I'd be glad to have them. Of course my 44 SBH would beat em both. And since the only thing a handgun is good for is to fight to a long gun, the Marlin 45-70 gets loaded stoutly.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I load 195gr WFN PC in mine and they're thumpers for sure.
+1 on the 44 SBH.
I'd have to way more testing than just shooting them. Seems you can get wfn cast in similar weights with similar velocities but I'd think the sectional density of the 357 would provide more penetration. Probably too close to call, if I needed either I'd be glad to have them. Of course my 44 SBH would beat em both. And since the only thing a handgun is good for is to fight to a long gun, the Marlin 45-70 gets loaded stoutly.

·
Registered
503 Posts
These are the thumpers. I call them Jalapenos...they are hot and spicy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll admit that I'm not really a 1911 fan. I shoot them well but had a bad experience with another brand 1911 (lost confidence for carry after malfs in USPSA). However, i recently came on a deal too good to pass up. Seller got a good price and is moving back to the Lower 48 and passed the deal to me. Paid well below what has sold on GB lately and got a box of Buffalo Bore and SKB case to go with it. I've only put 50 rounds through it and have had minor issues but nothing major. Worst comes to worst, it becomes trade bait. Best case I have a nice gun that I enjoy shooting.

I just bought a new SR 1911 from guns.com and now have all the paper done for registration etc.. My problem is that I'm having a hell of a time being able to pull the slide back.. If I don't pull back the hammer first, there is NO way I'll get the slide back.. There's no way I can simply put my thumb and first finger of my right hand on the slide grooves and pull the slide back. What I have to do just to work the action is to use my left hand on the slide after I pull back the hammer and work the slide back and forth..
My question is what the hell can I do to loosen the action so this old man can safely use this gun ? Is it a matter of just blowing rounds through it, or can I use something like a diamond paste to loosen the action.. Any help would be appreciated ! You can e mail me at [email protected] because I'll probably forget how to get back here .. Thanks ..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

You mention the seller moved back to the lower 48, are you in Alaska? I've wanted a 10mm for a while now, let me know if you decided to get rid of it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You mention the seller moved back to the lower 48, are you in Alaska? I've wanted a 10mm for a while now, let me know if you decided to get rid of it?
Yep, in Fairbanks area. Don't think I'll be getting rid of it just yet.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Failure to lock slide after last round can happen because slide "blade" doesn't fit slide stop cut. I widened cut on 2 1911s with drimel or small file.
If you didn't understand what I wrote here, take a look at rear end of slide stop and corresponding place on slide.

·
Registered
503 Posts
A guy on one of these forums cast them for me. 195gr hard cast, 13 BHN, custom PC coated in John Deere green, and I seat them over a generous load of Blue Dot. Very accurate. 1,111fps so far, but I still have a little room to make them spicier.

I'll look up his contact info and PM you if I can find it, Rugerfan57.
I’m interested in your Jalapeño rounds. I’d like to know the bullet manufacturer and brand of powder you use. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I’ve also had the best results with Blue Dot. I’m using Hornady 155g XTP, 180 XTP and 180 FMJ so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts