Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I've got a 3-screw Blackhawk made in 1969, with the aluminum XR-3 Red frame. Hate the balance and really dislike anything aluminum on a firearm. So I found a Stainless Steel XR-3 grip frame with a hammer and trigger. Was told by the seller it would fit my 3-screw. But even if the frame fits, what will I need to do to get everything else to work correctly? Is this going to be a real headache?

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Try it and find out! I don't think it would be a problem.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Okay. I've got a 3-screw Blackhawk made in 1969, with the aluminum XR-3 Red frame. Hate the balance and really dislike anything aluminum on a firearm. So I found a Stainless Steel XR-3 grip frame with a hammer and trigger. Was told by the seller it would fit my 3-screw. But even if the frame fits, what will I need to do to get everything else to work correctly? Is this going to be a real headache?
Cut to the chase and PM Hondo44 and get a straight answer from an expert.

In general the fit will depend on a few things like the rear "ear" shape and since frames are final fitted to the original frame you may find the match at the sides to be less than perfect. If you're really lucky the fit will be great. Second best luck would be the new grip frame is a bit proud of the main frame and you can shape it down to fit. Hondo has a great tutorial on frames and fitting differences between old models and new.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My pistol is out in the shop and I'm sick in bed right now. Might be a few days until I can get out there and try it. The hammer and trigger look nothing like the same parts in my
Blackhawk.........which is why I'm concerned.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cut to the chase and PM Hondo44 and get a straight answer from an expert.

In general the fit will depend on a few things like the rear "ear" shape and since frames are final fitted to the original frame you may find the match at the sides to be less than perfect. If you're really lucky the fit will be great. Second best luck would be the new grip frame is a bit proud of the main frame and you can shape it down to fit. Hondo has a great tutorial on frames and fitting differences between old models and new.
Thanks.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Okay, that's good to know. So will I just be using the old hammer?
Yes.

The NM transfer bar cannot be installed in your gun, only the retrofit hammer and bar and you don't want that.

Plus the hole in the NM hammer for the pin is a different size than the OM hammer screw.

And finally, you won't have a loading notch (or safety notch, now that it's of any use.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, thanks. Thanks to all you guys. This is a project that I'm lacking in experience and I appreciate all the knowledge you can pass on.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If I'm correct in my rememberances, gunsmith Dave Clements makes a trigger that will allow a New Model Blackhawk grip frame be adapted to a Three Screw Blackhawk.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might add that I just received an e-mail from David Clements and he told me his trigger is now $70.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts