Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I braved the foggy weather and picked up the triple S I'd put on lay-a-way last Friday:D There was no box or papers and it only had the magnum cylinder but on the plus side (to me anyhow) it hadn't been converted;)

SN puts it being built in the later part of '69 It's seen it's share of use but doesn't seem to have been abused.

At $317 including tax and transfer it may not have been the best price but it wasn't the worst price either (keep in mind I'm in Massachusetts with "the list" and funky rules so certain firearms tend have a premium compared to free states). Throw in that I had a $50 gift card to the LGS I'd gotten for Christmas and a $120 card from a tire rebate (I was gonna buy the tires anyhow) and I can say that I actually only paid $147:rolleyes: At least that's the story I'm telling myself and I'm sticking to it:p

As always please pardon the cruddy cell phone pics!

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's a beaut. I like that very much. You should be happy shootin' magnums through it. I wouldn't even bother looking for the LR cylinder if I were you.

I'm not a "patina" guy on a shooter but I like wear marks. Just a little cleanup and that thing would be perfect in my eyes.

Well done.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

After I got it home it was straight to my workbench for a tear down and cleaning. While all the small parts were in the toaster oven to pre-heat for Frog Lube I spent a little time on the barrel and body with oil and 0000 steel wool to get rid of the worst of the little rust spots. I didn't go overboard with the wool or break out the cold blue pen as it's an honest gun with honest wear. The only thing that's kind of "eh" is the finish on the aluminum grip frame and ejector housing (mostly the frame) has gone "flat" so it matches the rest of the gun even less than it originally did. I bought it as a shooter so it's really not that big of a deal.

I'm sure it'll be fun with the .22 magnums and I do have a Single Ten for the SA .22LR shooting. But after doing some quick math I'll still keep an eye out for a LR cylinder. Around here .22Mag starts at about 30 cents a round. I can still get .22lr for 8-10 cents a round easily enough. LR cylinders seem to be $80-$100 these days so a cylinder and a 500 round brick of LR would cost the sameish as 500 rounds of .22Mag.

On a side note, last night I scored a '65 box and owner's manual off Flea-Bay for a reasonable price. While they're not the ones the revolver was shipped with they're at least "period correct". Yes, I'm one of those guys that likes to at least have the correct owner's manual. It's interesting seeing how the number of "warnings" have increased over the years (but that's a topic for another discussion).

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
"Warning: this gun shoots stuff when you aim at it and pull the trigger."

Very nice gun, OP. Thank you for posting pics.

·
Registered
293 Posts
FYI -- there's a stainless appliance cleaner called "Barkeeper's Friend" that's great for bringing back stainless. I find it at Bed Bath & Beyond and Lowes. I prefer the liquid vs. the powder.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Good find!!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI -- there's a stainless appliance cleaner called "Barkeeper's Friend" that's great for bringing back stainless. I find it at Bed Bath & Beyond and Lowes. I prefer the liquid vs. the powder.

Best of luck.
I'll have to keep that in mind for my stainless guns. This triple S is actually a blued model with an anodized aluminum grip frame. Lousy cell phone pics kind of wash it making it look like really dirty stainless instead of blued with use flaws:eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
the 8 shot replacement cylinders by story work well, at least my 22wmr does in my used two screw single six. good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a beaut. I like that very much. You should be happy shootin' magnums through it. I wouldn't even bother looking for the LR cylinder if I were you.

I'm not a "patina" guy on a shooter but I like wear marks. Just a little cleanup and that thing would be perfect in my eyes.

Well done.
Since it is blued why not parkerized it for 60 bucks.
Cheap easy has a flat black finish that is VERY tough.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,465 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts