Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger AR-556, Winchester 30-30, 20 Gauge. Ruger P95DC 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Dan Wesson .357
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to apologize up front for my ignorance in all things AR.

I'm just gathering up a few items to get to know my AR-556 better. I want to bolt a starter set of optics on
while I research for the more expensive piece I will stay with.

This looks like a great starter rig. I respect Sig. Opinions?

Second question. Is the rail size on top of the 556 standard so all optics will fit?

Thx for the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

I'm just gathering up a few items to get to know my AR-556 better. I want to bolt a starter set of optics on

Second question. Is the rail size on top of the 556 standard so all optics will fit?

You will get a lot of responses I suspect, and they all will be earnest and helpful. Pic rails vary slighltly from maker to maker within a range. But a standard pic rail mount will work, and a good red dot will usually be at least available with its own mount. I am spoiled and do not know your budget, but I have found wisdom in the adage do not skimp on optics.
A humble reccomendation, aimpoint PRO on a qd mount is a very good pair with a new ar shooter if you opt to not run irons. I have not used the sig you showed, and it may be great. I know form experience the aimpoint PRO is a top shelf unit at a mid price.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,146 Posts
Aimpoint makes quality products, and you may end up there. Maybe you will decide on an ACOG or a low power variable scope. There are many, many choices. That Sig Romeo MSR is an inexpensive way to get started shooting with your rifle. You can try friend's rifles or ask other shooters at the range about their setup as you determine what is right for you. Amazon has that Sig red dot for $87.00 and it's gotten a 4.5 out of 5 stars in over 2,600 reviews. I think that's a great way to start. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not a bad way to go to see if you like it.

I started with a Romeo5 and Juliet 4x magnifier.
Then a couple different LPVO's and now back to the Romeo5 XDR on an ADM QD mount with green dot.
Still have a 1-8X24 set up for it if I want to but it's easier to just grab a scoped rifle now.

Which was another round of buy and try before finding the right ones.

·
Registered
Ruger AR-556, Winchester 30-30, 20 Gauge. Ruger P95DC 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Dan Wesson .357
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aimpoint makes quality products, and you may end up there. Maybe you will decide on an ACOG or a low power variable scope. There are many, many choices. That Sig Romeo MSR is an inexpensive way to get started shooting with your rifle. You can try friend's rifles or ask other shooters at the range about their setup as you determine what is right for you. Amazon has that Sig red dot for $87.00 and it's gotten a 4.5 out of 5 stars in over 2,600 reviews. I think that's a great way to start. Happy shooting!
ACOG?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight. A fixed 2 or 3x prism scope with coating that works better with some gen 2 and better night vision. Usually reffering to trijicon brand. It has become a term for most prism scopes. Work very well. Very bomb proof. I like the 0 magnification of a red dot better for me in my present world. But the acog or primary arms version are fine optics!

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,693 Posts
I am not a big fan of any electronics for my firearms. I did get a well revised but inexpensive red dot for the top of the AR, but I insisted it be one for which I could still see the steel sites of the battery is not working.

My advice to you if you are new to these optics is train train train with steel and then add something that allows co-witnessing.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have read many favorable reports from individuals on the Sig Romeo. Yes, almost any red dot will fit on the picatinny rail. Occasionally, I see an optic that does not come with the rail mount (which attaches to the bottom of the optic). Check to see that the one you buy does, if not you will need to purchase that also.

Aimpoints are good, but not cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own Sig Sauer Romeo5 Red Dot, I have 5 of them. They work great. 119.99 is hard to beat. I have them on ARs, Benelli M4S90 and a SOCOM16 currently. I'm trying to see if the heat from the SOCOM16 will cook the ROMEO5,so far its been GTG. I'm not doing 20 round mag dumps, but engaging multiple targets with 2-3 rounds.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

Before you drop any money on optics you need to decide how you will be using your AR. If you want quick target acquisition but not real precision on target or no magnification, then a red dot would be the way to go. Do you want to shoot at longer distance maybe 100 yards or more with decent precision and magnification then the scope would be the way to go. A good red dot type can cost as much as a decent scope, so money is not the real decider more so how you want to use the AR.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
You can also split the difference and get a LPVO (low power variable optic). These are scopes that typically have 1x- 4x magnification range and have a red dot in the reticle cross hair. My understanding is they are harder to cowitness, although I personally don’t understand why.

If my lower end red dot craps out, that’s what I’m going to get.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You don't cowitness a LPVO, it's like any other scope.
And if the illumination is out it still has an etched reticle.
On lower end LPVO's the illumination is barely bright enough to see in a dark room let alone outside in bright light, so using it as a red dot is kinda moot.
But an offset mount from Ariska will let you mount red dots from pistol size up to a Romeo5.

Swampfox has a red dot and offset mount combo that I've kinda been looking at for a scoped rifle.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
You can also split the difference and get a LPVO (low power variable optic). These are scopes that typically have 1x- 4x magnification range and have a red dot in the reticle cross hair. My understanding is they are harder to cowitness, although I personally don’t understand why.

If my lower end red dot craps out, that’s what I’m going to get.
A lvpo is just a low mag scope you can dial in usually from 1-8× ( like you said) eye relief is still an issue. I run one on 20" barrel. Love it. Usually with a bdc. But I would not think it would be a good choice for someone "new" to ars. But you never know!

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
There are two types of pic rails, one being the 1913, the other is Weaver’s version………they’re not compatible, unless you wanna force-fit-it, but it’s never gonna be right. Ruger uses the 1913 pic rail on everything so as long as any rings or mounts you use are 1913 compatible you’ll have no issues mounting your optics.

Reactions: tderrick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the education, gang. It looks like I need to learn some acronyms.
I am not a big fan of any electronics for my firearms. I did get a well revised but inexpensive red dot for the top of the AR, but I insisted it be one for which I could still see the steel sites of the battery is not working.

My advice to you if you are new to these optics is train train train with steel and then add something that allows co-witnessing.
When you have time, would you explain co-witnessing?

Perhaps I should have read up on the subject prior to engaging. But... If you guys don't mind.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts