Ruger Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Thanks for the education, gang. It looks like I need to learn some acronyms.

When you have time, would you explain co-witnessing?

Perhaps I should have read up on the subject prior to engaging. But... If you guys don't mind.
Co-wittness is one of those things that may be slightly more important to one person than another. In essence it means lining up a red dot optic on the same height plane with your iron sights. I do not want to risk a lengthy debate on your question, but that is the general idea.
One great drawback of a electronic sight like a red dot (which does not magnify at all) is its need for batteries and or solar power.
One of the great things about them is they are single focal plane dependent. (Best explained to me like this, once zeroed, bullet goes where red dot is).
Ymmv

·
Registered
17 Posts
Co-witness is when you look through a open optic ( red dot) you can see and use the original sights. Works best when used with a folding rear sight. If your optic quit working or was damaged you can flip up rear sight and you are back in business.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,439 Posts
The Sig MSR is a fine unit and it should co-witness on your rifle.

That being said, I prefer the Sig Romeo 5 because of the MOTAC (motion activation) feature.
It's nice if your intended use is home defense since the unit remains off, but wakes up as soon as you move the rifle.
I never have to worry about remembering to turn it on or off.

I didn't see that you ever specified your intended use,
red dots are good for fast target acquisition and once zero'd they do not require a consistent cheek weld like a magnified scope.
Another consideration is if you have an astigmatism, this can make the dot look more like a splash and can be annoying.
I can generally adjust the dot brightness to the light conditions to make the problem less annoying, I have read others are not so lucky.

As you can see there is a lot of personal preference when it comes to optics.

In terms of more expensive optics, I love my Eotech holographic sight.

Reactions: tderrick

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,706 Posts
When you have time, would you explain co-witnessing?
I was new to the AR when I got mine as well. Basically it means you can see through both the iron sights on the gun and the optic at the same time. I had little experience with modern firearms when I bought the gun, and I was used to a deer rifle with a scope where the gun’s iron sights are not used at all.

Cowitnessing seems critical to me for a short-range red dot. If your battery fails or the sight is damaged in a tactical “situation” you still want to be able to acquire a target.

I shelled out $400 for two classes on handling an AR for defensive shooting, and I learned some skills I employ with other firearms.

My trainer taught me first to always learn with the irons before I use the optic, which I think is a really good short range practicej technique. Practice with your gun that way, too. Too many guys in my classes were fooling around with all the expensive tools they had bolted onto their guns, at the expense of basic marksmanship techniques. Don’t be that guy! I was the only person with a bone-stock AR and while not the best shot in the classes, I had the fewest problems with my rifle.

While I don’t care for most modern firearms, that rifle is really fun to shoot.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's why I sold off my 365 XL slide with a Romeo zero.
It didn't fail but not having a set of usable iron sights soured it for me.

Even if I had an Aimpoint PRO with an excellent battery life and reputation I would still have BUIS.

Most red dots come standard height to cowitness with irons and a riser plate if if you want a lower 1/3 to get the dot above the front sight post a bit.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,360 Posts
Co-witnessing is when you can see your iron sights through the red dot device and they both align at the same point of aim (POA). Some people like co-witnessing and think it provides better accuracy and/or still provides a sighting system even if the red dot's battery goes dead.

When I bought my AR-556, I considered many options. At first, I tried a red dot with a 3 MOA dot. It worked but the rifle was way more accurate than the red dot so my groups were not very tight .... 3" at best. Next, I mounted a scope that I already had ...a 3~9x40. From a bench rest, this combination was very accurate, however the scope was just too large for the rifle. A short 16.2" barrel was intended for distances from 10 yards to 100 yards. I ended up buying and mounting a Nikon P-223 3x32 scope with 1" high rings. This allowed me to see over the tall front sight and provided a very sharp and bright view, yet the scope was not overwhelmingly large. I sighted the scope in at 75 yards then test fired the AR-556 at distances from 25 to 100 yards. The scope worked fine and because a 223 Rem cartridge shoots very flat at those distances, my groups were never more than 1 inch high or low. I am very happy with my scope. Nikon no longer makes rifle scopes but other manufacturers do.

Here's my AR-556 with the Nikon P-223, 1" high UGT rings, and a sling:

Just an added comment ..... The rail on an AR-556 requires rings that are 1" high or the front sight assembly can be replaced with a low profile gas block (no front sight). Red Dots with built-in mounts won't work well .... the sight is positioned too low to get a decent view plus the view will be obstructed by the shark fin front sight.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fixed 3 power scopes are smaller and lighter these days.
8oz, scope and mount.
They have them in 1x and 2.5x also.
Good illumination and if the battery dies or whatever the reticle is etched and always there, auto off too which is nice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The nice thing about AR's is they are relatively light weight, until you start adding optics.
An LPVO is pretty handy but it does add a bit of weight.
Unless you spend $1,500-$2,000+

Almost 9 lbs with a PA 1-8x24

7.2 lbs without bipod

18" barrel, 9.6 lbs with a NF 2.5-10x42 and NF mount.

SR762 is already heavy so lets plop a 45oz Arken 4-16x50 scope and a MWI mount on it.
Over 14 lbs, doesn't need a sling, needs a wheel on the butt..

·
Registered
Ruger AR-556, Winchester 30-30, 20 Gauge. Ruger P95DC 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Dan Wesson .357
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The Sig MSR is a fine unit and it should co-witness on your rifle.

That being said, I prefer the Sig Romeo 5

I didn't see that you ever specified your intended use,

As you can see there is a lot of personal preference when it comes to optics.

In terms of more expensive optics, I love my Eotech holographic sight.
Intended use is self defense. Thx for reminding me to clarify.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,439 Posts
Intended use is self defense. Thx for reminding me to clarify.
Then a red dot is probably best for fast target acquisition and the motion activation feature on the Romeo 5 is a big plus for that unit.
If something goes bump in the night, you really don't want to be fumbling to turn the unit on.

I have the 50001 unit because it comes with both a high and low mount, in case later you decide to put something different on the AR.

Reactions: tderrick and oldag

·
Registered
Ruger AR-556, Winchester 30-30, 20 Gauge. Ruger P95DC 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Dan Wesson .357
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks for all the education.. I will most likely end up with the Romeo 5. But for now, I'm
going to slow down and just work with the irons , as suggested. As I get more familiar with
the piece, I'll revisit this subject.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
My vote for Romeo 5. I have Vortex Sparc on one AR and Romeo 5 on another both cowitness and work great. The Romeo gets the nod for the shake awake.

Reactions: tderrick

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,706 Posts
Thanks for all the education.. I will most likely end up with the Romeo 5. But for now, I'm
going to slow down and just work with the irons , as suggested. As I get more familiar with
the piece, I'll revisit this subject.
Let us know What you do. If you can hit consistently at SD range with the irons, you will not be in bad shape when you add an optic.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts