Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new PC carbine. Noticed that when, with bolt closed, there is resistance to inserting a mag (Glock magwell). With bolt open, no resistance at all. Is this normal?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will try that on my next break. I have not noticed but the only mags I have are from the carbine or SR9C.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
What you are describing is pretty much normal for any auto-loading firearm. In order for the bolt the be able to strip a fresh cartridge from the top of a loaded magazine after ejecting a spent cartridge, the bottom of the bolt must contact the top of the cartridge case head of the topmost cartridge in the magazine. So when you insert a fully loaded magazine with the bolt closed, the bottom of the bolt has to push that top most cartridge down against the pressure of the magazine spring.

If the bolt is back (open) then the cartridge does not contact the bottom of the bolt and inserting a loaded magazine is no more difficult than inserting an empty magazine.

You have probably noted that it can be rather difficult to insert that last cartridge into a fully loaded magazine at which point the magazine spring is nearly fully compressed. So pushing that spring down even a little bit farther can require a good deal of pressure.

If you find this to be a problem and want to be able to insert loaded magazines into the carbine on a closed bolt, you can download your magazine by one or two cartridges which allows for a bit more slack in the magazine spring. AR rifle shooters will often download their magazines by two rounds to allow for easier and more secure magazine changes on a closed bolt. This allows for more reliable "tactical reloads" in which an empty or nearly empty magazine is swapped for a more fully loaded magazine while keeping a round chambered.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Noticed that when, with bolt closed, there is resistance to inserting a mag (Glock magwell). With bolt open, no resistance at all. Is this normal?
Both the loaded factory PC carbine and SR9C mags don't seem to have that problem on my rifle. They slide in nice and slick. How many different makers of Glock mags have you tried?

·
Army CW3
1,047 Posts
Welcome to rugerforum.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest! HOOAAAHHHH!!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
New to the PCC myself...just got mine and still have yet to get a chance to put any rounds through it yet.
Do any of you have a link to a cleaning procedures video, I'll search myself for some later just thought I'd toss it out since I was here.
Gene

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Another big welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.