Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I got my CCW last year and before that I had no exp at all with any gun or rifle. Now I feel comfortable I have some knowledge of pistols. I have bought few pistols and stocked up on ammo and now with all the turmoil going on in world I like to pick up a rifle for home defense in event the country breaks out into civil war. I know that sounds crazy but I just don't know it seems to be getting closer all the time. Anyway I know nothing about rifles I think I need semi automatic does anyone have any recommendations ? Thanks for any feedback...

·
Registered
873 Posts
It all depends on what caliber. If you are looking for a .223 (5.56X45) then it is a no brainer, go for an AR15. Smith and Wesson has a nice M&P Sport model that doesn't break the bank if that is a concern. You could go with a 7.62X39 with an AK variant. Stay away from the WASR-10. Get an Arsenal. or you could get an SKS (surplus) that would be cheaper yet. Get back to me on some details. I wouldn't wait long to find out what semi-auto you want to get. A ban is coming you know! :(

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I would suggest an entry level (non-competition) AR-15 in carbine length (16" barrel). The ammo .223 or 5.56mm, is relatively inexpensive, and with the availability of larger capacity mags like 30 rd it is best suited for what you want it for, which would be a lot of firepower at relatively short rifle distances.
Yes, there are heavier calibers with more stopping power, but the AR will do the job. It can be outfitted with a variety of sighting options such as a low power scope, red dot scope, and/or laser.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi GREG50. I would also recommend you start out with a .223/5.56 rifle. Either a good, entry-level AR (like the Smith & Wesson M&P mentioned above) or a Ruger Mini-14. The Mini-14 is an outstanding "all-around" weapon and is usually less expensive than a quality AR (I stress "usually" as prices have been rising...). You'll see lots of AR vs. Mini debates in online forums, but the bottom line boils down to simple personal preference. They are both awesome!

Best to luck to you whatever you choose.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I vote for Mini 14 Tactical.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well you can never go wrong with the 10/22 as a starter and build from there. What do you want to do with it? Hunting, protection, plinking, varmits etc?

·
Registered
116 Posts
For home defense, you might think of adding a 12GA shotgun to your list too. Just point it down the hall, and pull the trigger. Nice spread covers a wide area.

Just racking a shell into the chamber is a sound no burglar wants to hear. :D

The above answers are good too.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
For home defense, you might think of adding a 12GA shotgun to your list too. Just point it down the hall, and pull the trigger. Nice spread covers a wide area.

+1 Yes, I would agree with that. You weren't real specific as to how you would want to use the long gun, but a 12ga pump or semi-auto, is about the best at close range. I keep a Mossberg 500 tactical pump loaded with #4 buck right by my bed. It also has a nice bright light mounted on it.

But if you want to pick off the infiltrators at a longer range, then the AR or Mini-14 would do the job.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think a shotgun would be good for home defense also.
A 357 Marlin or Rossi carbine or a M1 30 carbine with hollow points would be good for home defense.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
without going into the technical details... the caliber of choice would be the .223/5.56 as mentioned above.

Shotgun in 12ga would be a good choice. A smaller ga would ok as it's easier to handle but home defense ammo isn't as common for 20ga as you might hope.

With either choice, go with as short a barrel as you can find. Lessons from any war show that when fighting inside buildings the last thing you want it a long weapon that's slow or impossible to swing around in confined places.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts

As mentioned above, a good 12ga. and for the rifle I also vote for the Mini 14.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Much depends on where you are and what your community is like...
Rifles with a lot of power may be a problem for an apartment dweller in a city....you get the idea.
So narrow your choices by picking the right gun for what will do the job and yet be reasonably safe for those around you.

A shotgun for in the house defense is a good start.
A 10/22 will teach you the basics of rifle marksmanship for less money and less hassle than the center-fire rifles, but they , for the most part, are not real good for home protection from a determined invader.

I skip over the .223, I have two, but for perimeter or outdoor defense and hunting I like the 7.62x39mm and the .308 for rifles that do duty at home and in the field. learn from your 10/22 and you will be ready to step up in a fairly short time.

PS, don't underestimate the 44 magnum as a rifle and revolver caliber, especially in the outdoor area. I use both.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I think a shotgun would be good for home defense also.
A 357 Marlin or Rossi carbine or a M1 30 carbine with hollow points would be good for home defense.
or any of the pistol caliber carbines if not one of them like others have said 223

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have handgun/s you probably have home defense covered. In the event of societal deterioration I would opt for a decent semi-auto rifle. I have thought a 750 Remington would work for both hunting and for zombies coming after my stuff but abandon that idea in favor of maneuverability.

Up until the election my situation was similar to yours. I had handguns either on my hip or in drawers around the house. With the prospect of bans on semi-autos and high cap mags. on some liberals wish lists I made the decision to beat them to it by buying a Mini 14 and a 30 and 20 round mags for it. With 2 shotguns and a boat load of shotgun ammo left over from my hunting days, 3 handguns, 2 rifles including the Mini 14 I feel I'm as prepared as I'm ever gonna be.

A decent semi-auto rifle with some high cap mags. causes me to feel more comfortable. I have less than 100 rounds of .223 for the Mini. I plan to boost that total to around 1000 as funds become available.

·
Registered
446 Posts
As others have mentioned a semi auto 12 ga make the best defense weopen ever made, I assume you are talking about home defense.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Home defense starts with the exterior of your home, then them not wanting to gain access to the interior, finally when those fail patch and paint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts