Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey glad i found this forum :)

Hey i just got a Mk3 "standard". i guess in many ways a good "sleeper" that lets me custom it w/out the added sights, barrel, etc. I was bummed at first on the plane jane sights. but seeing how so many custom tricks are out there... no complaints :D

Since i am fairly new to Ruger and customizing I have a few questions. I see Volquartsen has some nice setups for barrels w/the much needed weaver mount. As the Mk iii "standard" isn't even tapped for sights :(

They have a barrel witht the weaver mount AND a compensator option. I am not sure if in California compensators are legal or not. Let me say this way- muzzle breaks are legal and flash compressors are illegal. Are these all a little different in function? And legality I assume?

As for custom ideas for my mk3 feel free to turn me on to other companies. The Volq. was just one that my buddy turned e onto. I see others but they have only MK1/2 stuff. And i know the III is a little different with the loaded round indicator.

So open to any ideas. Right now looking at a trigger tweak, and a barrel addon with the mount. Just not sure in Cal if we can have the compensator or not.

thanks

glad to find the forum.

dave

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i am ignorrant of california laws so no help there. but i'm sure a lot of fellers here can give you some ideas. Plus Brownells has tons of after-market items for the ruger.

here is a link about some accessories along with some interesting photos of tricked out rugers http://www.gunblast.com/Pac-Lite-22Barrels.htm

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,684 Posts
You are much better off trading your "standard" model in on a bull barrel or slab side (both are D&T) than to buy accessory barrel/receivers. Besides being expensive, the receiver is the part with the serial number so it is controlled by both BATFE and California DOJ and is basically the same as buying a new gun. CA DOJ maintains a list of approved guns and I'm guessing the Pac-Lite and other aftermarket receivers are not on their list. See for yourself ..... http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/ another alternative is to have your receiver drilled and tapped for a Ruger base (Weaver style). This is pretty easy for a gunsmith or if you have a friend with machine shop access. Ruger receivers are soft to drill. The drill bits and taps are available from Brownell's for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Iowegan. good point about being on the CA list. since things are so hard to pass. Getting it drilled might be (or is the easiest) probably $20 to have someone do it. What a drag about the approved list in CA. :(

thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts