Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at Blackhawk .357/9mm combos. I know these are redundant questions, please bear with me. I have the GP100 .357 in 3" & 5".
With the 9mm cylinder I do not need moon clips, right?
Is there a difference in the barrel length between the 4.58, 4.65 ans 5.5 in recoil?
Anything you all can advise me on I would greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I am not mistaken as I have recently purchased my first single action in 45 colt convertible to 45acp the one you are looking at should come with two separate cylinders. They may look different as with the 45 one is a full round cylinder and the 45acp cylinder has a flute cut inset around the outside of it. Now I know with mine the 45colt is the solid full round and the acp cylinder is fluted on the outside. In which case you will not need moon clips. As for the recoil I have always been under the guideline that a longer barrel with more weight will lead to less felt recoil. (Personally I would rather shoot a 44 mag out of a 5.5 inch barrel vs a compact 3 inch barrel. Merely and example)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well, to sort of duplicate what dpfist84 said, the 9mm cartrdges can be used (must be used, in fact) without the half moon or full moon clips. (Study the loading of the Blackhawk and it will become obvious why.) The 9mm cartridges will load and eject the same as .38 Special/.357 Magnum cases. They headspace on the case mouth, and eject by the rod ejector.

The barrel lengths of Ruger Blackhawk are 4 5/8" (4.625), 5 1/2" (5.5") and, in the case of the .357 Magnum, 6 1/2" (6.5"). I believe you will find very little difference in recoil of the two shorter barrel lengths, recoil of the .357 in the heavy Ruger being negligible anyway. The 9mm and .38 Special should produce very little recoil.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I also have a 5" GP100 and just picked up a 4.6" BH convertible in 357/9. I got the 4.6" simply because I like the looks better. I'm probably odd because I actually got the BH for the 9MM and so far I have only used the 9mm cylinder. The recoil is much like 38s in the GP100...very mild.

While the recoil in both is mild, it's a different kind of recoil. Hard to describe. Some may call it muzzle flip, but with 9mm it's not really a flip. It's just the different grips on the two guns.

I'm liking the BH a lot so far. I plan to get both the GP and BH together at the range and do a side by side comparison with the same ammo.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. I have seen the flathead, is there a difference between it an the ribbed other than cosmetic? It seems the ribbed would protect the sights better.
2. With the dedicated 9mm cylinder, would it get dirty like shooting 38S out of a .357 cylinder?

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Must of course remove cyl.

Moon clips are only used in SA revolvers for speed loading by popping cyl in and out of the gun especially with a bit of practice, as opposed to individual case ejection and reloading with cyl in the gun, which is much slower even in skilled hands

Or when swapping in a second 45 ACP or 9mm cylinder. Usually only in self defense situation and practice sessions.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
1. I have seen the flathead, is there a difference between it an the ribbed other than cosmetic? It seems the ribbed would protect the sights better.
If someone can explain to me how the rib actually protects the sights, that would be the day... For 99% of shooters and conditions, it's purely cosmetic.

The biggest difference - and Hondo will correct me if I'm recalling this incorrectly - the 357mag standard blackhawk is on a full size standard frame (save the anniversary edition), whereas the flattop blackhawk is on the mid-sized frame.

The midsized versions then also have the RIP system (reverse indexing pawl) such that the chambers line up with the loading port, whereas the standard large frame blackhawks without the indexing detent do not line up with the gate when loading/unloading. Accompanying this feature, the mid-frame flattops also have free spin pawls, whereas the large frame versions do not. The midsized Flattops then also have the smaller and thinner XR3 grip frame and grips, to the large frame's XR3-RED grip frame.

2. With the dedicated 9mm cylinder, would it get dirty like shooting 38S out of a .357 cylinder?
I think you've missed the information that multiple folks have given to you - the 9mm/357mag Blackhawk comes with two cylinders, one chambered for 357magnum (which can shoot 38spcl as well), and one chambered for 9mm Luger only. So no, there is no opportunity to dirty an over-length chamber with 9mm rounds, because the chamber is not over-length.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I know it comes with the two cylinders. I do not know much about the Blackhawks so I thought that the 9mm cylinder might be shorter or something and have more burnt powder residue.
But I thank you for explaining the difference between the flattop and standard.

Would the mid sized frame resemble the frame of a Security Six and the standard resemble the frame of a GP100?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
If you want a wheelgun that shoots 9mm PURELY for fun and range shooting, a 9mm Blackhawk is THE #1 choice. You can shoot cheap 9mm all day, no moon clips, no worries about different size rims or brands of ammo working with the moonclips you have........ no stuffing magazines, no worrying about if X brand ammo will cycle in your auto chucker, if it's 9mm Para it will work in the gun.

I have read about moonclips that only work with Winchester, some that are made for Federal and other ammo, forget all that, when I'm trying to have fun I don't want to have to sort through ammo to make sure I have the right brand.

I have a stainless flat top 4 5/8" with the 9mm cylinder, this thing is a ton of fun to shoot at the range. I don't have to mess with moon clips, I can use steel case or cheap reloads, and it's accurate enough. For $180-200 per 1,000, my 9mm Blackhawk is pretty much a "big boy .22" for range plinking. Truth be told I have it in the drawer of my TV table right now loaded with Hydra Shok 9mm's, I figure 6 rounds in single action should repel any boarders while I reach heavier artillery.

Recoil with the 9mm in a Blackhawk is nearly 0, it's like shooting a pop gun.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The flattop seems to me to be a much more comfortable gun to hold and to shoot. I have large hands, but I still find the full-sized BH frame to be awkward and not balanced to my taste. I'm sure others will disagree, but I am a fan of .357 and .44 spl cartridges in smaller guns. Same thing with .45ACP in SA guns.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mainly want the convertible so I can shoot 9mm and then maybe some .357.
I have the GPs, Security Six and model 19 for .357s.
What is the size difference compared to other guns between the flattop and standard?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Here side-by-side are my New Model Blackhawk (.45 Colt) and my New Model Flat Top Blackhawk (.44 Special) for comparison. If you take measurements you will find the differences, but note there is scant difference in dimensions. But in the hand, there is a noticable difference. The Flat Top is just more svelte.

I believe it was Elmer Keith who suggested the rear sight ribs on Blackhawk revolvers. He found that when the rear sight was elevated to its maximum height, the sight assembly tended to wobble a little, hence the ribs being added. Never raised mine up that high, myself.

Bob Wright

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I have read about moonclips that only work with Winchester, some that are made for Federal and other ammo, forget all that, when I'm trying to have fun I don't want to have to sort through ammo to make sure I have the right brand.
Hadn't heard that, but good to know. You have to 'make' SA moon clips by slightly modifying S&W N frame moon clips. That's what I did for 45 ACP in my Montado 45 Colt. Also had to surface grind them so I didn't have to modify my 45 Colt cyl. I'm not really a fan of moon clips and don't use them in my Smiths.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I believe it was Elmer Keith who suggested the rear sight ribs on Blackhawk revolvers. He found that when the rear sight was elevated to its maximum height, the sight assembly tended to wobble a little, hence the ribs being added. Never raised mine up that high, myself.

Bob Wright
Bob,

That's a beautiful pair.

Didn't know that about the sight ribs. Makes more sense for stabilizing than protecting the rear sight. Elmer might have been one of a very few that elevated the rear sight high enough to need the ribs.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts

Bob Wright
Like yourself, I've never ran a load so heavy nor shot a zero so far without a scope that I needed to elevate my rear sight that far.

To eliminate rear sight wobble in my own revolvers, once I have a load shooting where I want it, I cut shims and put them under the rear sight such that the rear sight is "hard stop" tight against the frame & shim. This also helps stop the rear sight pin from coming out.

·
Registered
871 Posts
No moon clips. Have Blackhawks in 45Colt/45ACP and 357/9mm. They are very nice. The guns with the 45 ACP and 9mm cylinder head spaces on the front of the case. With 45 Colt and 357 (or 38 Special etc) it headspaces on the rim of the case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts