Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all!
Just joined the group and thought I'd post a few photos of my Mini 14 and ask a couple questions.

http://rugerforum.net/pictures/ruger-rifles/p1073-mini-14-1.html
http://rugerforum.net/pictures/ruger-rifles/p1074-mini-14-2.html
http://rugerforum.net/pictures/ruger-rifles/p1075-mini-14-3.html

I've owned this Mini 14 for about 17 years. I am the second owner and bought it when it was less then a year old. What you see in the photos is how I bought it, flash superssor and folding stock.

I've always thought it was fairly accurate but never papered it, just shot cans and stuff up to about 75 yds.

I'm considering doing a couple things to hopfully make it more accurate. I see this as a close to medium range (up to 100 yds) tactical rifle so I'm not considering attaching a scope. I have other tools for medium to long range shooting.

My question then to the group is:
Is an accu-strut really necessary? This rifle has a SN of 186-4xxx, so it was made in 1995 (pre ban). I notice a taper in the barrel, you can see it as a shiny ring in the photos closer to the front sight. Is this a better barrel then compared to the earlier models and will an accu-strut improve accuracy?

Your comments are appreciated.
WBR

·
4E617468616E 4C656767
1,840 Posts
Greetings from central Texas, hope you enjoy the forums. On a side note, I don't see any of your images, would really like to see your Mini.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmm... yes, the photos aren't showing. They are in the photo section of the forum.
Is this one one of those things where I have to make so many posts before I can post photos?

WBR

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. Enjoy the forum. The MoRod would help the older barrel. After they heat up the groups normally start to spread. Helps to take the heat from the barrel.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I looked at your pix in the photo gallery. That's a nice looking gun. I'll second the mo-rod suggestion. I have one on order now just waiting for it to show up in the mail.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I really like my Ruger Mini 14 too...

Welcome from the Florida panhandle near Pensacola...
GOD Bless & Merry Christmas...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, Stripped the photo url's of the html code so you can click on the url and link to the photos.

WBR

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome, from the Green Mountains of Vermont!

Nice Mini - I have the same Choate muzzle brake on my 185-series. A strut - Accu-Strut or Mo-Rod - will definitely help your accuracy. They also look really good on the rifle, more like an M-14/M1A.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome guys. And thanks for comments on the accu-strut.

I'm also thinking of changing the rear sight to this one from Accuracy Systems...
rear_sight - Ruger Forum

WBR

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
War Bird Radio;

That is a nice looking Mini. If you don't mind my asking, where exactly did you get that gun? Many years ago I bought a new stainless Mini-14 here in Portland, Oregon and then added a nylon Choate folding stock to it. That gun looks exactly like my old Mini did.

It would have been about 17 years ago (I think) that I let that gun go in order to buy my first AR15. Considering that my first AR was a jam-happy Olympic Arms POS, I didn't make a very good deal. I don't have any record of the Ruger serial number anymore, so I'm only guessing anyway.

Whether or not that is my old gun, it is a beauty. Good shooting with it. I remember that my old Mini was a great rifle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill,
I bought this rifle at a gun shop in Albany, Or. that's no longer there. The owner got cancer and passes away about 10 years ago.

When I bought it I was told that a Linn Co. Deputy sold it to the shop because he didn't think the voters were going to pass the bond levy and he expected to be laid off. He carried this in the trunk of his patrol car. Well, it passed but I already bought his rifle. Bad for him but good for me! You weren't that Deputy were you?

I thought the folding stock was Butler Creek???

WBR

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys. And thats for comments on the accu-strut.

I'm also thinking of changing the rear sight to this one from Accuracy Systems...
rear_sight - Ruger Forum

WBR
I like that rear sight, I'll have to look into getting one for my Mini-14...

Nice rifle, and welcome to the forum.....

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
719 Posts
As far as modification that can make it more accurate, my son has a 5 year old Ruger Mini 14 that he has replaced the wood stock with an ARCANGEL stock that looks and functions bery simular to a FN-SCAR Rifle...

He then had alittle trigger work done...Then but himself an inexpensive red dot/greendot NcStar tactical 1x power scope & laser combo...

LASTLY, He then added a Har-Bar barrel truss system that yeilded him an accuracy improve from 2-2.5" MOA at 100 yards to now less than 1" MOA...

DANG GOOD if yo ask me...
He did all the mods for less than $550 on a rifle he got for around $575 back then so for less than $1200 he has a majorly KOOOL .223 Rifle that is one sweet shooting, dependable & accurate rifle...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Bill,
I bought this rifle at a gun shop in Albany, Or. that's no longer there. The owner got cancer and passes away about 10 years ago.

When I bought it I was told that a Linn Co. Deputy sold it to the shop because he didn't think the voters were going to pass the bond levy and he expected to be laid off. He carried this in the trunk of his patrol car. Well, it passed but I already bought his rifle. Bad for him but good for me! You weren't that Deputy were you?

I thought the folding stock was Butler Creek???

WBR
WBR,

Yeah, it probably isn't my old Mini. It looks great though. I'm not an ex-Linn County deputy. The folder may be a Butler Creek stock. I don't even know if Choate is around any more. They sure look the same though.

Have fun with that Mini.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Cut my group in half on my mini 30. Muzzle brake is next on the list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts