Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a P94 about 10 years ago, brand new. I used it moderately, typically 20-50 rounds every Friday after work, but I couldn't say that I've shot more than over a year at that rate. One day I was at the range and after about my 2nd or 3rd magazine, the gun made an unusual noise and felt different. I noticed that the (ambidextrous) safety had separated, and both parts were on the floor. As I learned, the firing pin had also flew out the back. Luckily at the time, I lived in southern California, so I drove up to Prescott and dropped it off for Ruger to repair. They reinstalled the safety (which is simple) and they replaced the firing pin and perhaps something else, and I paid them a small amount for their services.
After less than ten rounds, I noticed that the safety, particularly the right-hand side, will start to slide out ever-so-slightly. It only takes some pressure to push it back in, and I can continue to shoot it normally. If the safety lever falls completely falls out, then the other side will come out, and I fear the firing pin would then lose itself again.
I have searched a few forums but I have never come across this instance.
Advice?

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
I purchased a P94 about 10 years ago, brand new. I used it moderately, typically 20-50 rounds every Friday after work, but I couldn't say that I've shot more than over a year at that rate. One day I was at the range and after about my 2nd or 3rd magazine, the gun made an unusual noise and felt different. I noticed that the (ambidextrous) safety had separated, and both parts were on the floor. As I learned, the firing pin had also flew out the back. Luckily at the time, I lived in southern California, so I drove up to Prescott and dropped it off for Ruger to repair. They reinstalled the safety (which is simple) and they replaced the firing pin and perhaps something else, and I paid them a small amount for their services.
After less than ten rounds, I noticed that the safety, particularly the right-hand side, will start to slide out ever-so-slightly. It only takes some pressure to push it back in, and I can continue to shoot it normally. If the safety lever falls completely falls out, then the other side will come out, and I fear the firing pin would then lose itself again.
I have searched a few forums but I have never come across this instance.
Advice?
Can't say i've had that issue with any of mine. Send it to the mothership and see what they tell you ...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Agree with the above comment.
I would call them & explain, and I’ll bet you will have a RMA to send it in during that call.
I would sure include a letter just like you stated here, that it’s not the first time.
You will have it back in a reasonable time.
Oh yeah WELCOME FROM OHIO

·
Exchequer
4,602 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Do you think you had a bad / overcharged round?

Regardless, it's good that no one got hurt. And as the others here have suggested, contact Ruger and let them make it right for you.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
dang I forgot ...

Welcome from the Buckeye State ...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Had that same thing happen with my P 89.
Left side safety lever was fine but right side safety lever would slowly slide out.
What I did to correct that was to very firmly press the two safety levers together.
After that it did not happen again.
Was a simple fix for mine, but may not work for yours.
Call to Ruger probably your best option to get their opinion.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
First: Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Second: Call Ruger CS and explain the history and the problem now. If you have the old date of the problem it will help them. They will take care of you. It has been shown time and time again here that Ruger CS is by far the best of the gun manufacturers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts