Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got out the camera and took some pictures of the Birdshead 45ACP. This is the stock look. I will post some "after" pictures when I finish with the high gloss polish job and new grip panels.

Wave

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's a beautiful revolver. I'd love to own one myself someday. Congrats!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Very nice revolver.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sweeeeeeeet! 45acp is a very interesting caliber for that model.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
How does loading/unloading it work if its a rimless cartridge?

I had a .45acp smith and wesson revolver that used moon clips, but with a single action, how does that work?

I'm assuming its not ONLY .45 auto rim?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts

I had a .45acp smith and wesson revolver that used moon clips, but with a single action, how does that work?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Dr. Marneaus, loading and unloading is the same as any other SA - no moon clips required. This model is .45ACP only with no convertible cylinder to .45 Colt as is offered on some other SA Rugers. There is a .45 Colt version - same gun but chambered in .45 Colt. This is one of those Rugers that isn't on the website or in the catalog and not a distributor's exclusive but they are making them. For an in-depth discussion (and how I came to be seduced by this gun) see this thread:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/47894-blue-new-vaquero-birdshead-45-acp.html

Wave

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Dr. Marneaus, loading and unloading is the same as any other SA - no moon clips required. This model is .45ACP only with no convertible cylinder to .45 Colt as is offered on some other SA Rugers. There is a .45 Colt version - same gun but chambered in .45 Colt. This is one of those Rugers that isn't on the website or in the catalog and not a distributor's exclusive but they are making them. For an in-depth discussion (and how I came to be seduced by this gun) see this thread:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/47894-blue-new-vaquero-birdshead-45-acp.html

Wave
How does the cartridge stay put then, and not move forward? I guess that's what I'm asking. Moon clips are used because the rimless cartridge would fall too deep into the cylinder, right?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not nearly as good a picture as yours but it's all It's all I've got at the moment. Mine is .45 Colt and it's my most fun gun to shoot at the ranch.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How does the cartridge stay put then, and not move forward? I guess that's what I'm asking. Moon clips are used because the rimless cartridge would fall too deep into the cylinder, right?
OK - I understand your question now. Just to make sure, I got out the gun and removed the cylinder and a .45 ACP cartridge drops in and stops. The chambers on the cylinder are machined to stop the cartridge on the mouth where the bullet is seated. The bullet to cartridge junction creates a "rim" surface to hold the cartridge at the proper depth. Pretty clever and no moon clips needed.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not nearly as good a picture as yours but it's all It's all I've got at the moment. Mine is .45 Colt and it's my most fun gun to shoot at the ranch.
Charlie - nice Birdshead! I would love to add a .45 Colt in blue to go with the SS .45 ACP. It IS a fun gun, isn't it?

Wave

·
Registered
350 Posts
This thread is killing me. I'm beginning to look around for stuff to sell so I can buy one for myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got a Mernickle Holster for it that fits great. I shot a hog out in Mountain Home, Tx a couple of years ago with it. I had (IIRC) a big 250 gr.+ hollowpoint in it and accidently hit him right in the eye (where I was aiming) at about 25 to 30 ft. He dropped like he'd been hit with a sledge hammer and never moved again. (Luckiest shot I've ever made!)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts