Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My saga began in October of 2018 when I found on eGhey what I thought was a stainless New Model Blackhawk 9mm cylinder:

When it came in, I find out it's not for a New Model Blackhawk but a New Vaquero instead. I sure felt link a dumb a$$. I look around and discover that these stainless New Vaquero 9mm cylinders are somewhat rare so I decide to keep it. Now my search begins to find an appropriate pistol to place this cylinder in.

After eighteen months, I find a .357 Stainless New Vaquero Bisley and grab it:

The 9mm cylinder fits nicely and there is no front to rear slop whatsoever. The revolver cocks cleanly in all positions. I so no reason why this 9mm cylinder won't function as designed.

My last issue has to do with appearance. The revolver has a polished finish while the cylinder is not. I don't know if it is worth my while to have the cylinder polished to match the revolver. Plus, I do not know who could reliably do the work. Here is what the revolver looks like with the non-polished 9mm cylinder installed:

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I like the look ... and from a purely practical sense you can tell the cylinders apart easily .

Polishing the cylinder would be easy , other members have polished entire revolvers , by hand with complete satisfaction...if you enjoy working with your hands do a search on "polishing" and see what materials they used to go from matt to shiny .
I bet Iowegean could tell you the best way !
The polished finish looks like nickel plating and with the Ruger Ivory grips ...
Awesome Revolver !
Gary

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the two tone, and the benefit of easy ID as to caliber.
I didn't even think of that.

I like the look ... and from a purely practical sense you can tell the cylinders apart easily .

Polishing the cylinder would be easy, other members have polished entire revolvers, by hand with complete satisfaction...if you enjoy working with your hands do a search on "polishing" and see what materials they used to go from matt to shiny.
I bet Iowegean could tell you the best way!
The polished finish looks like nickel plating and with the Ruger Ivory grips ...
Awesome Revolver !
Gary
Boy, you don't want me to attempt this. I guarantee I'll screw it up royally. I know my limitations.

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I didn't even think of that.

Boy, you don't want me to attempt this. I guarantee I'll screw it up royally. I know my limitations.
Yes ...Tis true , a man has to know his limitations . But even as limited as I am in DIY skills, polishing stainless steel by hand isn't that advanced if you use the correct products in the correct manner ....Just avoid fast spinning buffing wheels and Dremel Rotary Tools ... they can mess up a firearm faster than a New York minute .
Gary

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
As was posted before, it makes it easier to tell the cylinders apart.

If I was going to polish it, I would go with a polish on the high surfaces, but leave the cylinder flutes matte.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I was going to polish it, I would go with a polish on the high surfaces, but leave the cylinder flutes matte.
Now that makes sense.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would probably leave it alone so I could tell the difference between them. The differences in the cylinders are easiest to see with 45 Colt. I have several 45Colt/45ACP convertibles.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Since the gun is a 357 and 9mm is for economy shooting, I would leave it as is and store it with the 357 cylinder.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My saga began in October of 2018 when I found on eGhey what I thought was a stainless New Model Blackhawk 9mm cylinder:

When it came in, I find out it's not for a New Model Blackhawk but a New Vaquero instead. I sure felt link a dumb a$$. I look around and discover that these stainless New Vaquero 9mm cylinders are somewhat rare so I decide to keep it. Now my search begins to find an appropriate pistol to place this cylinder in.

After eighteen months, I find a .357 Stainless New Vaquero Bisley and grab it:

The 9mm cylinder fits nicely and there is no front to rear slop whatsoever. The revolver cocks cleanly in all positions. I so no reason why this 9mm cylinder won't function as designed.

My last issue has to do with appearance. The revolver has a polished finish while the cylinder is not. I don't know if it is worth my while to have the cylinder polished to match the revolver. Plus, I do not know who could reliably do the work. Here is what the revolver looks like with the non-polished 9mm cylinder installed:

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.
OOoo...Dot's NIZE!(y)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for all the kind words.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quite simply go to a auto parts store and get a jar Mothers Mag Polish. It's cheap , a couple of bucks and you just need the small jar.
No power tools needed . Get a hand full of rags or torn up Tshirts and sit down in front of the TV and start rubbing. It will surprise you how fast it gets there.
How much you polish is up to you and you can't screw it up.
I also use it on the front of ALL my stainless cylinders as a polished surface is so much easier to wipe off the black carbon funk after shooting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts