Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a New Vaquero in .357 magnum and am getting really confused on spring kits, hammer springs, grips etc. Midway shows spring kits but they say they fit

"New Model Vaquero's with small frame (NV Series) and Blackhawk 50th Anniversay models with XR-3 grip frame and internal hammer lock use the same internal springs as the older Ruger single actions EXCEPT for hammer springs. This spring pack does NOT include a hammer spring for these newer models."

I don't believe I have a hammer lock. Will these fit or what am I looking for? Also grips and holsters don't seem to specifically mention New Vaqueros, will Vaquero and Blackhawk holsters fit or be too big? Will holsters for Colt SAA fit better?

Been a long time since I have owned center fire single actions and it appears things have changed. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If your NV is truly "new", as in new production, it is a small frame without the hammer lock. Why don't you go to Wolff's page (gunsprings.com) and pick 'em up there. I use the Shooter Pack 30/17 (30 oz trigger return spring, 17# hammer spring)...gives about a 2.5# trigger pull, and easy cocking...I haven't had any issues with light primer strikes.

As far as holsters, the NVs are similar in size to the Colt SAA, so a holster for an OV (large frame Vaquero) or Blackhawk (with a 2-digit prefix on the s/n) will be too large.

The only NV I own is one of the new 44 Mag birdshead Vaqueros, which is built on the larger, Original Vaquero frame. Someone should be along shortly to help you out with more specifics on your holster question.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the spring info. The revolver is roll marked "Ruger New Vaquero". Catalog number NV-35, Model 05106. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
If you pop off the grips, the lack or presence of a lock will be obvious, it's not "hidden"like some guns.

I don't believe any of the stainless Vaqueros ever had the lock.

I went through the same thing, I learned that Blackhawk and "new" Vaquero grips are not the same, when I tried to put Pachmayrs on my 9mm "flat top" Blackhawk,which uses the same grip frame as the New Vaquero.

I would suggest trying the gun out before you mess with springs, it may shoot just fine.

My brand new .45 New Vaquero is like butter, out of the box, no springs required.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to reduce cocking force and trigger pull. Have dry fired a bit and taken it apart and cleaned and oiled it well. Polished a few parts lightly but still looking for a spring kit. Went to gunsprings.com and it pretty much says the same thing Midway does. Since I don't have the hammer lock then any new model blackhawk spring kit will work?

And it would appear holsters made for the the Colt SAA should be around the same size as the New Vaquero?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Trying to reduce cocking force and trigger pull. Have dry fired a bit and taken it apart and cleaned and oiled it well. Polished a few parts lightly but still looking for a spring kit. Went to gunsprings.com and it pretty much says the same thing Midway does. Since I don't have the hammer lock then any new model blackhawk spring kit will work?
Think so...Like I said, huge fan of the 30oz trigger/17# hammer kit :) You won't regret it, especially if reducing cocking force is your goal.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
A "formed" holster for a Colt SAA won't fit, but any of the cowboy type ones will.

Any of the Blackhawk springs will work, I would also recommend thinking about leaving the stock trigger return spring alone unless you plan to use it solely for stuff like bench rest Bullseye shooting or some such.

I put a Trapper spring in an older 1980's Blackhawk .357, and it's so slick it feels like you touch the hammer and it cocks. The trigger return spring is TOO light, though, sometimes it doesn't return until you cock the hammer and the trigger break is too light. I only use it for range plinking so I'm not gonna fool with it.

Also, unless you hand load, you'll probably want it to pop any primer. When I install new springs in any of my DA or SA revolvers, I use Winchester White Box and TulAmmo as test rounds, since they have the hardest primers.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
According to Ruger "It is just a decision we decided to make." regarding the hammer strut block you refer to. However I'm inclined to believe it was all the flak that they received from the cowboy shooters when they realized that their new Ruger Single action had a stupid lock inside the grips. Yep it only lasted but a short while and now Brownells and others have to accommodate that short run in all of their products including spring kits. A fellow was selling hammer block safety replacements for awhile. It was basically a hammer strut retainer that took the place of the safety block, but allowed the use of the longer and easier to manipulate hammer spring. Kind of a U shaped item and was the only way to correct Ruger's mistake. Brownells chat line or direct phone line to their tech department will fix you right up if you have any doubts left. I had problems along the same topic and they sent me a list of items specific to my single action with their suggestions for the best pic. Never been happier. Smithy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good information all, thanks. I want to get into cowboy action shooting and wanted to reduce cocking force to make it a little quicker. I think I will leave the trigger spring alone for now as I certainly don't want the hair trigger I have had on some range guns and I know it will be smoothing up on it's own a little while it's breaking in. I will be reloading but appreciate the primer info as sometimes I do buy ammo when it's at a good price or I run low. Lots of good information here and many helpful people. Thanks for the history on the hammer lock. That was really making no sense when I kept reading the New Vaquero had one but I didn't. Again, thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
If you want a good action job for cowboy action (and in general) there is Munden Enterprises Gunsmithing right here in Butte. Jeff does good work. At least I've had good luck with the guns he has done for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you pop off the grips, the lack or presence of a lock will be obvious, it's not "hidden"like some guns.

I don't believe any of the stainless Vaqueros ever had the lock.

I went through the same thing, I learned that Blackhawk and "new" Vaquero grips are not the same, when I tried to put Pachmayrs on my 9mm "flat top" Blackhawk,which uses the same grip frame as the New Vaquero.

I would suggest trying the gun out before you mess with springs, it may shoot just fine.

My brand new .45 New Vaquero is like butter, out of the box, no springs required.
My stainless NV has the lock. I just checked it to verify, and it is indeed there.

OP, have you had much range time with this yet? My experience with the NV's has been that they're ridiculously slick right out of the box, as compared to the blackhawks. I've had no reason to mess with mine, but yours could obviously be much different. I've just noticed a lot of people recently insisting on a trigger job and whatever else before shooting. I just don't think it's worth it, and wonder how many people are potentially getting taken for some cash.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Or was it none of the blued ones have the lock:) I know there was one "branch" of the Ruger SA family that never got "locked"

My brand new Vaquero is indeed slicker out of the box than my new .357 Flat Top convertible......maybe they put a bit more care into the fitting of the Vaquero since so many CAS guys use them.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Grip frames that had locks from 2005 until 2012:

Only newly designed 2005 grip frames in Blue and stainless XR3 size for New Vaqueros* and NM Flat Top Blackhawks*,
and all alum alloy grips frames for the Single Sixes and Blackhawks.

Grip frames that never had locks:

Dragoon and blued steel XR3-RED size grip frames for SBHs,
stainless steel XR3-RED size for all Single Sixes, Blackhawks and SBHs,
and all blue steel and stainless steel Bisleys and Birdsheads.

* On these two models only, there was also a hammer spring change from 28 coils to 25 coils that coincided with the introduction of the lock, and still used on those models after the lock was discontinued. This was in response to CAS shooter market demands that resulted in the New Vaq mid-frame size and lighter hammer spring; also the extra long (ugly) hammer on the NVs. Hence the better feel of the action.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My stainless NV has the lock. I just checked it to verify, and it is indeed there.

OP, have you had much range time with this yet? My experience with the NV's has been that they're ridiculously slick right out of the box, as compared to the blackhawks. I've had no reason to mess with mine, but yours could obviously be much different. I've just noticed a lot of people recently insisting on a trigger job and whatever else before shooting. I just don't think it's worth it, and wonder how many people are potentially getting taken for some cash.
No, I haven't fired it yet but hope to get out to the range this week. Trigger feel is not too bad, a little creep but as I mentioned the hammer cocking force is pretty high. Just want to reduce that without affecting primer strikes. At most will go for the spring kid now and if that doesn't do it may move later for a trigger job after 500 rounds or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts