Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone, Iowegan... give me the thread pitch and size diameter for the Grip Frame screws on my New Vaquero? I believe the same thread pitch and size are the same for all new SA's. I can't find any reference on specifications.

Why? The last time I pulled my New Vaquero apart I found one of the upper grip frame screws to appear as though it got cross threaded. I replaced it with a new screw I had previously ordered from Brownells. It seemed to thread in OK but I want to run a cleanup tap into the threads so of course, I need to know what tap to get. Thanks in advance....

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,077 Posts
Russ123, All 5 grip screws on Vaqueros, Blackhawks Super Blackhawks, and Single-Sixes use 6x40 screws. Just some advice …. it's never a good idea to chase a cross threaded hole with a tap because it is very easy to get it started crooked and ruin the threads. Using a new 6x40 screw is a much better idea. It will chase the threads but won't "cut" like a tap.

More suggestions: when you reassemble any Ruger SA, it's best to use a small jewelers screwdriver to start and seat the grip screws until they bottom out, then back the screws out about a turn. After all 5 screws have been installed, tighten them down with a proper hollow ground screwdriver. Jeweler's screw drivers can't apply enough torque to strip threads or cross thread screws. Here's what I use: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=53F9397EFD988B4D1D2D190818FEBA27CBE9708A&thid=OIP.tN9elZkrnk1EWa5GPZDxdQHaHa&mediaurl=https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/d5dfbf2a-6808-4b47-9f77-9f4e458ee778/svn/stanley-screwdriver-sets-66-052-64_1000.jpg&exph=1000&expw=1000&q=stanley+jewelers+screwdriver&selectedindex=7&ajaxhist=0&vt=0

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the full advice. The new screw did well and as you said it would. I backed out the new screw and the threads were fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts