Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new model vaquero. I am looking for a new model super Blackhawk style hamme for it. It seems I am getting conflicting info, some say the new model super Blackhawk hammer will drop right in some say it won’t even brownells says it won’t fit and they don’t have any suggestions. Has anyone changed to a lower style hammer.
Thanks

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
rkrcpa, So did Andy modify the SBH hammer to fit the frame?

·
Registered
141 Posts
rkrcpa, So did Andy modify the SBH hammer to fit the frame?
No modification to the hammer. I had been using that hammer as a drop in replacement on my Flattop 44spl before I sent my 357 Anniversary model to Andy for the conversion to 41 mag.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Always good to learn something new. I put SBH hammers on all my Blackhawks, love the wide spurs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
272 Posts
All of the large and mid frame New Model Ruger Single Action revolvers (not Bearcats or Single Six/Seven/Nine/Ten) share hammer and trigger interchangeability. Even the Bisley hammers and triggers can be made to fit the non-Bisley grip frames by simple modification of non-critical demension (cutting mass off of the butt of the Bisley hammers, and bobbing the nose of the triggers, or enlarging the port in the grip frame). They’re all the same length, despite the difference in cylinder frame size.

So the hammers from Super Blackhawk, the Montado (SBH hammer with special checkering on the spur), the Blackhawk/Vaquero, and the Longhorn New Vaquero are all drop in interchangeable, within the same fit specifications at the mothership.

It might be of interest for some: the New Vaquero Longhorn hammer has a larger bump on the rump to fill the gap between the ears of the grip frame. Putting a Super Blackhawk hammer into a New Vaquero will yield a small recess where the radius of the hammer is smaller than the radius of the ears - which will look like every SBH, BH, or Vaquero made after the grip frame design was modified in1998. The hammers were not also modified, so a gap was born. Alternatively, if a guy put a Longhorn New Vaquero hammer into an SBH, BH, or original Vaquero, that existing gap would be closed and the hammer butt would match the curve of the grip frame ears. When modifying a Bisley hammer to fit a plow (XR3, XR3-RED, Dragoon, or Hunter) or birdshead, the guy with the files can choose whether to match the standard hammer profile, leaving a gap behind the hammer, or match the New Vaquero Longhorn profile and leave the gap filled.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Are the hammers used on the new "SASS" Vaquero's, in fact a SBH hammer?

Or do they use their own specific hammer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts