Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased 2 new ruger vaqueros. In both pistols i swapped out the hammers for black hawk hammers and install wolf trigger and hammer spings. Now this was done ( stupid me) before ever test firing them at all out of the box.

So now one will fire, one will not. It looks to me like the firing pin is not striking the primer hard enough. I have disassembled and re assembled multiple times and the only difference i see between the two is, the tranfer bar pivot on the working gun is filed down 1/3 on the back. And when you fire the working gun the hammer travels far enough forward to contact the cylinder with the trigger fully depressed. The none working gun, the transfer bar pivot is fully intact. And when you fire it the hammer doesnt not come in contact with cylinder until you let the trigger return slightly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I think your problem is in the transfer bar. The transfer bar on my .44 Special Flat Top Blackhawk is noticeably thicker, and the hammer is curved in more at that point.

I have yet to try it, but I think it might be necessary to swap out transfer bars with the older type.

I tried a Blackhawk hammer on my Flat Top and noticed the hammer nose does not contact the frame.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I have the same problem on one of my Flattops, essentially the same gun as yours but with adjustable sights.
I'm trying to understand what you meant by " the transfer bar pivot is filed down 1/3 at the back".
And if you didn't file it down, who did ? Did it come that way as a new part ?

My hammer nose does not contact the frame, and that is with the correct hammer for that model.
I put a Super Blackhawk hammer on the other Flattop and it works fine, 100% ignition.
I tried swapping hammers and bought an extra hammer and transfer bar, nothing seems to work in the problem gun.
The firing pin isn't chipped or damaged and does protrude enough if manually pushed with a punch or some other tool.

A "thicker" transfer bar would be nice, if I knew where to get such an item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried swapping the transfer bars between them and that didnt help. So now im going to try and switch all the internals one by one and see what makes the difference

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Geoff.

So I removed the Wolff 14lbs main springs and install the stock 17lbs and the pistol fires. I did notice the main spring guide bar is not perfectly straight.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
A 14 lb. spring ? No wonder you were having ignition problems.
Stock spring weight is 19 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts