Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my 1st range trip(all went well) I took my new Vaquero apart t wipe it down. Cylinder came out ok, but will not go back in! It seems very tight and wont turn. Someone please tell me this is something simple...

Thanks
JP

·
Registered
104 Posts
The simple answer would be that the loading gate has to be open to remove it and the loading gate has to open to replace it. Your comment is slightly confusing, you said you got it out, and then couldn't' get the cylinder back in, but then say it is hard to turn. So is it in or not in. Lining up the base pin can be a problem but after a couple of times you'll get the hang of it. Make sure the base pin is fully to the rear position and the base pin latch has popped back out on the left side. So take it out and start over.

Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, upset over not being able to get it to work.. ill try to be clear.
The cylinder came out without trouble. When replacing the cylinder in the frame it will go in and the cylinder pin will line up and go in with some difficulty. the problem is that the cylinder will not spin with the loading gate open, and with the loading gate closed the gun is completely locked up.
When the cylinder is removed and the loading gate closed, the hammer and trigger operate normally.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Possible other problem. I forgot I had something similar with a new Vaquero. The Gate Detent Spring wasn't right and had a burr on the end of it that contacts the loading gate. I wasn't in the mood to send it back so I did a complete dis-assembly and filed down the burr on the end of the spring. The burr allowed the spring to disengage from the loading gate and it would then be in the way of the cylinder.
You might be able to see this looking between the cylinder and gate, if there is something hanging out there it doesn't belong there.

Part Number 39 on page 34 of the factory manual. Did you buy this new or used?

·
Super Moderator
21,402 Posts
I'd take it back out and try again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Note the flat piece at the bottom of the loading gate. This picture is the way is should look will the cylinder removed. The flat thing is the spring if it jumped out that's your problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the Vaquero completely apart, cylinder still binding. Removed ejector alignment pawl, and cylinder works fine... must have been a burr somewhere in there. Cylinder is now free spinning with gate open, and smooth with gate closed..

Thanks for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts