Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I was on Gallery of Guns and saw 47 S/S 5.5 inch .357 Vaqueros in stock. Sunday morning it was 37 so I bought fearing in less than a week it would be out of stock.

I had a .357 Blackhawk ( in at least on thread on this forum) that was modified for cowboy action to a new caliber and some trigger work. I liked it but I would agree that is is a tad large. I had trouble 'spinning' it as the custom grips were extra wide but nice when shooting .357. I could front spin but never back spin.

Many of my friend who have never handled the SAA style guns just shrug when I told them I was getting one. You have to shoot one to experience the feel and balance. Also, since you don't have a 10-20 shot magazine the single actions remind you to make every shot count.

Should be here this week.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Congrats, hope you get a great one...

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Congratulations on your new six shooter. I think you made a prudent decision to go ahead and put in your order.

I had exactly the same situation several weeks ago with my new Vaquero Montado in .357 Mag. - .38 Special. There were 14 available when I hit the "order" button on Gallery of Guns. 4 days later there were none. I was happy that I didn't vacillate as I'm often prone to do.

We'll be looking for pics and a range report soon. :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Very cool - I wouldn't mind having one of my own!
Nowadays, if you can even find a gun, you better grab it, they're gettin as rare as hen's teeth.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Good choice.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
If you find the gun or ammo you want or need, better go ahead and "pull the trigger"and buy it!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm right with ya!
My new Vaquero Sheriff 44 Special is at my FFL....and I cannot get to him before next Wed!!:(

Gotta start reloading, since I just paid 50 bucks for a box of 50 LRN rounds!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Congratulations.

I really like the New Vaquero it's more the size & feel of the Colt. Plus now the cartridges line up with the ejection port making loading & especially unloading easier.

Let us know how you like it when you've wrung it out.
Frank

·
Registered
525 Posts
Congrats! I bought one earlier this month and I'm thinking "Why didn't I buy one earlier!" They're awesome, you won't be disappointed. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Monday night I went to the gun store ( Public Gun & Pawn | Home of the 10% interest Pawns for those in Broward) and got to 'meet' the weapon. I will buy it this coming Saturday after one more payday passes.

The only issue with this weapon is leaning to shoot with the stock grip. I had a Blackhawk with a extra large grip that felt good to hold but really made that weapon into a 'tank' for your hand.

I'm going to have to learn to shoot with my pinkie in a new position.

As for a grip, with the s/s I would like to get wooden grips in a darker wood with a textured pattern.

As for the range, if I could only visit a WM and get a 100 box of .38spl WWB like the 'good old days' of last year when ammo was still plentiful. . .

·
Registered
58 Posts
great guns. Used to own an old model, 4.75", stainless, 45 Colt. Sold it and regretted it ever since. I do like the new downsized model, better...

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I want a Vaquero in either .357 or 45 with a bird's head grip. I saw a pair in a LGS back before Christmas. I didn't have the spare cash then and they are both gone. I am building up an extra grand in savings so next time I see one it will be coming home.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Saturday I was on Gallery of Guns and saw 47 S/S 5.5 inch .357 Vaqueros in stock. Sunday morning it was 37 so I bought fearing in less than a week it would be out of stock.
Should be here this week.
Congratulations, looking forward to the pics. ;)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have one in 45 colt 7 1/2" Stainless. Love it.
Reloading rounds for it is almost as fun as shooting them. Most fo the larger calibers are pretty expensive and reloading does pay off pretty quickly.
I have about 500 rounds. Since I dont have to buy brass and cast my own bullets from wheelweights I have about a nickel a piece in each round.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it today.

Took it to the office and the owner flipped over it and wants one. Would not let me have it back for a while. he did spins above tile which had me nervous but he was good.

I get back home, hold the gun over my bed to try and work on the back spin and it slipped off my finger, bounced on the bed, and the of the barrel hit me hard in the left acorn.

I got to clean it and polish it with Flitz as soon as I feel better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts