Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions - This is my first Vaquero.

1. I've googled about the many grip frames sizes before. I found a set of houges on their website under description - Old blackhawk / new vaquero grips - I assume this is the correct size for a newly produced vaquero. I'm eyeing the black pearls pretty hard.
2. What is a kind of light polish I can use on the stainless. Not looking to spend hours upon hours on it, just bring out the stainless a little better.
3.Finally, is the 'poor boy' method of lightening the trigger pull by taking one of the trigger spring return leafs off harmful?

and just for fun.. Can I get a black replacement blade for my single 10.. love the FO front, but dont dig rears with dots..

Thanks!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Regarding question #2 I've used both Flitz and Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish on my stainless steel revolvers and have been happy with the results. I tend to favor the Mother's but they both do a good job. A quick polish gives a nice shine and hours of polishing can start getting you a mirror finish so you control the final outcome.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Regarding the Single Ten. I understand the standard sights Ruger sells for a Single Six will fit the Single Ten. Installation is supposed to be very easy.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
1) I assume we are talking about the New Vaquero ... not the original Vaquero. You will be looking for New Vaquero grips .... Not Blackhawk grips.

2) ....

3) Won't hurt a thing. you can also slightly bend the spring legs to get the tension you want.

·
Registered
323 Posts
#1 You are correct. Hogues' grips for the New Vaquero are also for the original XR3 Frame Blackhawks.

Take a look at the Hogue Ebony and Black Micarta grips if you plan on shooting much with the enhanced grips. Both are more durable for heavy use than the Black Pearl version.

Best Regards,
ADP3

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Not necessarily in order, but here goes. DO NOT clip springs. It's just not worth it at all. You'll end up cutting too much or not enough and in either case the bottom of the spring where you made the cut will no longer be flat as it will have a half coil barb hanging out. Have that barb hang to the outside diameter of the spring and it can get caught on another moving part of your gun. Go to Brownells and type in your model number. That usually will produce a number of pages all to do with your gun. Tools, parts, accessories, all will pop up. Then look for a Wolff spring package for your gun. The finished length of each spring will be close if not the same as your factory one. The only difference is that the new spring will require less tension to compress and therefore lighten the pull.

While at Brownells, take a look for some Flitz polish. Small batches of this stuff come in a toothpaste type of container an it does wonders for Stainless. It just has a very light, mild abrasive contained within the paste and it's perfect for blending in a darkened area with the rest of the gun. I've even used this stuff to remove rust off a blued gun. It took the rust off, but not the bluing. Great stuff to have and use. Best of luck to you and your new Vaquero. I sure miss my SASS Bisley Vaquero's and wish they'd make one in 45ACP to conserve ammo with my 1911. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Taking one of the trigger return spring leafs off works just fine. It is not a permanent mod, and it does not involve cutting anything. I have thousands of rounds through my NV with the spring leaf off with no problem.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Taking one of the trigger return spring leafs off works just fine. It is not a permanent mod, and it does not involve cutting anything. I have thousands of rounds through my NV with the spring leaf off with no problem.
I'm at a loss? All of the Vaquero's that I've owned over the years and not one of them contained a leaf spring. All coil or wire springs, no Leaf. What are you folks talking about and where exactly is this leaf spring you all are working on? Smithy.

P.S. The gate spring is a "wire spring".

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'm at a loss? All of the Vaquero's that I've owned over the years and not one of them contained a leaf spring. All coil or wire springs, no Leaf. What are you folks talking about and where exactly is this leaf spring you all are working on? Smithy.

P.S. The gate spring is a "wire spring".
Ok, I get where I used leaf instead of wire.

This is the job I was talking about:
http://www.gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts