Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 10/22 in 1987 and its a great rifle...now I'm thinking of buying a new 10/22 with a black and gray laminated stock from a local gun shop at $295.00. Are the new 10/22's just as good as the older ones or have they gone "cheaper" like many of the other brands? They also have a red and gray one but it's a bit flashy. Would you say $295 is a fair price?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm kinda old fashioned, so my perspective might not fit yours. But here's my thought.
If you need or want two 10/22s, then I can't say too much. But if you like your old one, and don't need a whole new action & barrel, just shop for the kind of laminated stock you want and put that on the old one.

I can't comment on the old vs. new because I never had a Ruger back in the old days. People have posted that the new plastic trigger housing is better than the old metal one. And the whole manufacturing process has changed so much that the variation between guns is not like it used to be. But I do know that my new 10/22 has some major dings in the muzzle, as if the barrel was installed by whacking it hard with a hammer. Somebody else showed a pic of a similar ding right in the crown a couple weeks ago.

If your old gun is good, you can spend all that $295 on exactly the stock you really want.
My perspective...
Angky.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum. Second they are all good. I prefer the vintage rifles but have no concerns about buying a brand spanking new one.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I wouldn't worry about "new vs old" or if one vintage is necessarily better than another. Only parts that have changed are the trigger assembly housing and barrel band which have gone from the alloy material to a polymer material. Many don't like this yet base their opinion only on that, opinion rather than any actual experience or mechanics of the two. The hammer assembly is now one unit rather than consisting of the hammer and the bushing s as separate parts. Finsihed have changed over the years as well. So long as this one doesn't have a wrinkle look, you're fine. That finish was prone to flaking off inside the receiver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcome and the responses...interesting that they all come from states I lived in over the years...Caribou in the 50's, SF Bay Area in the 60's and Kenniwick in the 70's...it was the poly parts I had heard about and wondered if they were up to par...as to getting a second 10/22 I have two daughters and I'm getting older so I figured each could have a dependable long gun when I'm gone...they can fight over my FNP 9 and FNP 45...They both recieved a Gerber machete for Christmas and were both surprised but knew why they got them...I always told them a girl can never have enough ammo or a dime for the phone........

·
Registered
119 Posts
Two daughters for two guns!
I've two daughters, but only one of them wants a gun--so she gets to fight with the other one's kids for my guns.
Sounds like you need two guns. But watch out the muzzle on the new one--some of them have been getting rough treatment when installed. Maybe the target ones are ok.

As to price--you asked--I paid $230 for my bottom of the line 10/22 back in October.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to Walmart today and they said $227 for the base model if and when they get one...so I guess I'll just wait for their resupply and check those muzzles...thanks.......

·
Registered
167 Posts
A 10/22 will be my next Ruger purchase when I get the extra $$$ to get one. I may look for a good used one in the local gun shops before I buy a new one. Kinda fond of the sporter version with checkered stock and sling mounts. I had a Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 but I gave it to my son recently so I need another .22 rifle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Went to Walmart today and they said $227 for the base model if and when they get one...so I guess I'll just wait for their resupply and check those muzzles...thanks.......
You decided against the laminated stock model that you saw?

I'm looking for a good piece of wood to start a new stock for my basic 10/22 I bought in October. Got the new barrel from Green Mountain the other day; now I need to get a good stock under it. I have a piece a piece of acacia, but I'm too lazy to saw it up yet. (Have to hand saw it & don't have a rip saw.)

If you get that laminated one, post a pic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still thinking about the laminated one which I thought was black and gray but went back to see it up close and it was purple and gray...however the red and gray was looking better and better...however $295 bucks seems kinda high when across the street Walmart sells the wood base model for $227.00 ,when and if they get any...I don't know...so many guns, so little time.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts