Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another productive Friday night. Just finished putting it together.

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted an authentic 'Nam look, but also the removable handle, so I scrapped the 'Nam idea and went with the A2. And the adjustable stocks just piss me off, same as the rails. Take an eight pound rifle and put of bunch of extra crap on it.

Don't even get me started about the vertical foregrips......

I think next I will do a full-on A1, triangular grip and everything. Or an M1 Garand.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sharp.......

·
Registered
373 Posts
i've been thinking about getting an AR before they ban them again....so i have a newbie question about them...How hard are they to "build", and does it save money to build one instead of buying one outright?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I don't understand 'em enough to build one, I just want to buy one that, out of the box, is reliable and will hit a dinner plate at 100 yards every time I do my part...doubt I'd even put a laser on it-much less a scope...this one looks good to me....

·
Registered
373 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

I don't understand 'em enough to build one, I just want to buy one that, out of the box, is reliable and will hit a dinner plate at 100 yards every time I do my part...doubt I'd even put a laser on it-much less a scope...this one looks good to me....
definitely, it also has to be completely dependable, and able to be a the go to weapon if the SHTF.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
quote:Originally posted by velvalco

i've been thinking about getting an AR before they ban them again....so i have a newbie question about them...How hard are they to "build", and does it save money to build one instead of buying one outright?
WEll, I put one together in about 30 minutes. You can buy a kit from Del-Ton that has the upper completly put together and has all the parts to put the lower together, you just have to buy the lower seperately. I bought a DVD from Bushmaster, there are several others available, that shows you step by step how to build your AR. You can build it completely from scratch if you prefer. It really is not that hard at all. I bought my lower from Centerfire Systems, it is a Double Star and I am completely happy with it. It is every bit as good a gun as my Bushmaster.

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. good to know some folks still appreciate the classic look.

And yeah, it is significantly cheaper to build your own. I went with del-ton.com for almost the whole thing. They have all the options to customize the weapon too, and for less than doing it later.

It was super easy to put together. All I had to do was assemble the lower and pin it on, took about half an hour, if that. It requires a little patience to get the springs and detents in place, but still a very easy assembly. If you get a separate upper and barrel, you will need some gunsmithing services for the headspacing and all. I recommend the barrel/upper come together.

You can get the whole thing through the mail, and it really wouldn't be difficult to make a lower receiver if you have some appropriate fabrication equipment. But they are easy to find at gun shops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts