"The Real Deal"
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"The Real Deal"
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Check out the MOA adjustment on top of the rifle. 馃ぃ

• Haha
Reactions: sparkyv and Bepe

Registered
It took 69 shots. Extremely customized rifle. Hand lathed bullets. I'm not impressed.

The last real record holder, unless I missed one, was Rob Furlong, a Canadian soldier, using his standard issue rifle, scope, and ammo, to shoot a Taliban fighter. Was 1.6 miles. Three shots. One miss, one wound, then kill. In a few seconds, not 68 misses and several hours before the kill. I bet shot 70 would have missed, if they did it.

"The Real Deal"
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It took 69 shots. Extremely customized rifle. Hand lathed bullets. I'm not impressed.

The last real record holder, unless I missed one, was Rob Furlong, a Canadian soldier, using his standard issue rifle, scope, and ammo, to shoot a Taliban leader. Was 1.6 miles. One shot, one kill. Not 68 misses before the kill. I bet shot 70 would have missed, if they did it.
I have to disagree respectfully. I see guys with 3x9x40's that cant hit a 15" target at 100 yards while sitting on a bench.

So the math, and physics involved to shoot that far and hit something are remarkable. Think about when the bullet goes subsonic, it gets unpredictable. Plus this is twice and some distance past what the longest sniper kill was made. Rob, got knocked off the list by Craig Harrison, then he got passed by another. It took Rob a couple shots before he hit the taliban fighter from what I read.

A hand turned bullet, custom machined rifle would far exceed even a military match rounds capability. and sniper rifle in the military now days. If they need to go that far they are gonna take a cheaper alternative, or creep closer to the target.

I still say its remarkable to hit a target at 4.5 miles. No matter how many it took. Unless your using a missile, or artillery.

Registered
I have to disagree respectfully. I see guys with 3x9x40's that cant hit a 15" target at 100 yards while sitting on a bench.

So the math, and physics involved to shoot that far and hit something are remarkable. Think about when the bullet goes subsonic, it gets unpredictable. Plus this is twice and some distance past what the longest sniper kill was made. Rob, got knocked off the list by Craig Harrison, then he got passed by another. It took Rob a couple shots before he hit the taliban fighter from what I read.

A hand turned bullet, custom machined rifle would far exceed even a military match rounds capability. and sniper rifle in the military now days. If they need to go that far they are gonna take a cheaper alternative, or creep closer to the target.

I still say its remarkable to hit a target at 4.5 miles. No matter how many it took. Unless your using a missile, or artillery.
Not to mention the smallest amount of wind, air density, humidity, etc, etc, etc can change the direction a bullet flies.

"The Real Deal"
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Registered

The last real record holder, unless I missed one, was Rob Furlong, a Canadian soldier, using his standard issue rifle, scope, and ammo, to shoot a Taliban leader. Was 1.6 miles. One shot, one kill. Not 68 misses before the kill. I bet shot 70 would have missed, if they did it.

You're both right in this case. In the article, the team said that the shot was probably not mathematically repeatable.

It is certainly a testament to modern firearms technology and spotting techniques, it's impressive in that sense. What was learned from their process will probably go into further development of precision platforms and ammunition.

With that being said, shots achieved with fewer rounds fired and with only a spotter sitting next to the shooter certainly are more impressive in their own way. It would be interesting to see that shot made with a Ruger Precision chassis rifle.

I would think that an array of wind measuring instruments between the rifle and target, along with air density measurements could feed data to the scope to provide proper hold-over to make the shot more consistently.

There is a scope out there that virtually guarantees hits by controlling the actual release of the hammer, so this should be possible.

Registered
Missions and target hits are not the same. Even at 4.4 miles, the target was stationary, and no mind screws. But it is VERY impressive even if it took 163 rounds. Price does factor in at that point :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I would challenge anyone to try stationary 1000 yards with glass on a calm day. Then after you put one in the red, you can smack talk.

Registered
20mm Army is better out of the gate. It's a guaranteed hit in the first 10 minutes of any engagement. Of course, you're going to need the 20mm Navy to hit much for the rest of the time.
Which 20mm does the Army use?

Reactions: Tacky

Registered
I guess if it had taken 300 shots, they'd still get patted on the back? Reminds me of the Billy Bob AR shooters at the range, whooping and hollering because they got one on the paper at 100 feet, after 50 shots.
I call it assisted luck. They would have eventually hit it regardless, even if it took a thousand shots. JMHO.

Reactions: Ruger Man 74

Registered
It's that first 80yd run for a touchdown they do at the beginning of the first quarter of every Army-Navy game before they commit errors for the rest of it...
Rotflmao! You got me! Navy-Army Football, that鈥檚 the only ball sport game I watch.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts