Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new wrangler from Rural King on November 2nd, finally found one. I had to get the display model but was told they got them in on the 1st and they hadn't been handled much. I called Ruger and found that it was made in October so it was as new as It could be I guess. My question is on the fit of the grip frame next to the hammer. the area whare there is a screw on each side of the hammer connecting the grip frame. well if you point the gun away from you and you run your fingers from the trigger guard on up, on the left side everything seems flush with the cylinder frame. on the right side everything is flush till you get up next to where the hammer is and the grip frame is just slightly out farther than the cylinder frame. its not much but I can feel it, if i look at it it is hard to tell but can see its not flush smooth. I know its just a $200 gun which it was $201.50 out the door. and the area is too slight for me to not want it but i was just wondering if anyone elses has slight fit issues? the finish on the other hand is excellent and the ceracoat is complete with not one single flake.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine is the same. I can feel it but not really see it. Actually I never noticed until I saw this post.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,157 Posts
Mine is like that too. Wranglers have a cast cylinder frame and a cast grip frame that are NOT ground to fit like Single-Sixes. That's one of the many details that makes a Wrangler much cheaper to manufacture. I'm certainly not complaining …. after about a brick of ammo, my Wrangler still looks and shoots just as good as it did when brand new.

I own quite a few Single-Sixes and some of them have a cylinder frame-to-grip frame fit that isn't any better than my Wrangler, yet they cost more than twice as much. Here's a good example …. a like new Liberty Single-Six (1976 vintage) where the grip frame is very obviously different than the cylinder frame and you can feel the "seams".

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have several XR3-RED grips I've bought for my Single Six, and my Vaquero. The tightest, cleanest, most seamless fit of any set was on the Wrangler with a set I bought for the Vaquero. The frames are not clones. They are machined as good as possible, and cast as good as possible. Slight variations will always exist. Also the grips from Ruger and from aftermarket makers are never exactly the same.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,157 Posts
pasound, It's the cylinder frame-to-grip frame fit, not the grips.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not a problem for me. I liked the stock grip but needed a bigger girth on the handle. Went with a Ruger Spanish Rosewood, and very happy with function and looks.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Old Fart, I'm thinking the grip frame fit on your Wrangler is normal and you will soon not notice it. Iowegan, my new to me blued steel Single Six is the same barrel length as yours, man I love the balance of it.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts