Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting a conglomerate of parts together for my special ordered Ruger 10/22 (gotta wait 2 weeks for background check and for it to arrive) and today I decided to get an extended 25 bullet mag. I walked into a local gun-shop which seemed pretty friendly at first, I asked a few questions to familiarize myself, and lastly walked out with a Butler Creek Hot Slip.... BIG MISTAKE I KNOW... So I felt totally BURNED... I read some reviews and I guess I have a spare paper weight now Oh Well. Just sharing an experience and if anyone has some possible advice towards what kind of extended mag I should look into as a newbie, that would be greatly appreciated:D

·
Registered
824 Posts
The Hot Lip magazines by Butler Creek use to be one of the better aftermarket 25 round magazines for the 10/22.

Ruger has gotten into producing 25 round magazines and I suggest buying them instead of aftermarket magazines. On the otherhand, if the Butler Creek magazine works then you didn't get burned.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Well, hate to say it but they didn't "own you", you simply didn't prepare yourself. You said you asked a few questions to familiarize yourself. You do your fact finding & homework before you go. Like any retailer, they're job is to sell you what they have. Not their fault at all. Know before you go! Buy first then read reviews? not the right method there. Chalk it up as a learning experience. Hoping you did didn't use this same method for the rest of the parts you're waiting for.

Now you say this is a local shop that "seemed friendly at first". First time there?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congtrats on your new 10/22..Greetings and Welcome from North Carolina

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Welcome from S. OK. Enjoy. It's a great place to hang out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought the Butler Creek 25 round mag at Academy Sports.
Returned it for full refund a few days later. What a piece of junk.
Gonna get the Ruger version instead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, hate to say it but they didn't "own you", you simply didn't prepare yourself. You said you asked a few questions to familiarize yourself. You do your fact finding & homework before you go. Like any retailer, they're job is to sell you what they have. Not their fault at all. Know before you go! Buy first then read reviews? not the right method there. Chalk it up as a learning experience. Hoping you did didn't use this same method for the rest of the parts you're waiting for.

Now you say this is a local shop that "seemed friendly at first". First time there?
Yea it was my first time there; they're right next door to the military surplus store I go to so I decided to check them out. You're right though I just didn't do the research as I should have, as far as the other parts I did do some reading as, so with something new I do expect learning curves, My first love is cars and tuning and modifying them so at least the parts for the Ruger 10/22 are nowhere near as expensive as parts for my car LMFAO but yes you are correct massive research before going to any retailer. The other parts I have ordered are as follows,
KIDD Cocking assembly with Handle included
KIDD Bolt Buffer
KIDD Speed Magazine Release Lever
KIDD Bolt Extractor

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So I'm getting a conglomerate of parts together for my special ordered Ruger 10/22 (gotta wait 2 weeks for background check and for it to arrive) and today I decided to get an extended 25 bullet mag. I walked into a local gun-shop which seemed pretty friendly at first, I asked a few questions to familiarize myself, and lastly walked out with a Butler Creek Hot Slip.... BIG MISTAKE I KNOW... So I felt totally BURNED... I read some reviews and I guess I have a spare paper weight now Oh Well. Just sharing an experience and if anyone has some possible advice towards what kind of extended mag I should look into as a newbie, that would be greatly appreciated:D
I'm in agreement with the others that the Ruger BX-25 is probably the superior mag, but did you actually try out the Butler Creek mag first? Don't solely go by reviews alone. They often hype up the latest and greatest irrespective of their actual quality or usefulness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in agreement with the others that the Ruger BX-25 is probably the superior mag, but did you actually try out the Butler Creek mag first? Don't solely go by reviews alone. They often hype up the latest and greatest irrespective of their actual quality or usefulness.
Haven't tried it yet, I'm trying to find time to go to the range again and check it out a few more important things are on my plate this coming thanksgiving holiday like my sons first birthday so my "little gun, fun" will have to wait a while, but I heard all the rave for the Butler creek mags with the steel feed and nothing but bad for the ones with the plastic feed.... we'll I'll check it out for myself. Thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.