Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few differnt holsters i bought a blackhawk style cross draw vest that i thought would be fun plus it had what i thought at the time was a recoil pad 'sniper shoulder" well it hurts like hell it has a plastic bar that goes right through where i mount the mossberg with the ati topfolder so i dont wear it often the holster is removable universal i have rigged it in three diff configs thigh,belt,and on the vest it is made of nylon and it seems like it will scratch the blueing being after time it is a loose fit not fall out loose but movement, next i bought the uncle mikes kydex paddle for the ruger i like it alot. then i bought a ebay value shoulder harness nothing special but it was like 10 bux shipped....my question is will lets say a galco or similar be worth the extra money or is it personal pref? thx

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
For a multi-purpose nylon type holster that carries in multiple positions, I used the bianchi UM84. Used it on the hip and on the theigh. Never tried it on the chest. With the flap system or the thumb break i never had any problems with "slippage" with this rig. Perfered the flap as the handgun was a secondary weapon and keeping it secure crawling thru crap was more important than a quick draw. Bit pricey but worth it.
I gather you are looking for a tactical type rig or a field rig. I have always had a preference for a flap holster in the field. Check the sticky in this forum for a list of holster makers.
Excellent field holsters in leather are also available.
If you just want a black nylon hip holster for your purposes, look at don hume leather as they have gun specific molded nylon holsters with a leather interior.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
This is my opinion and others will probably differ. After you try all means of carry, and find which is most comfortable and best suited for you, I think you should buy the best holster you can find. In most cases the holster makers that make CCW holsters for different means of carry try to make them comfortable. If you have a good holster that don't bother you to carry your gun in, you are way more likely to carry continually than if it is uncomfortable. If you have to give 200.00 for a holster that you carry every day comfortably, what else can you buy for that price, that you can use for 10years + every day?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I agree well said, your going use it alot then the price really means nothing as to the many years of confortaqble use you will get out of it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I wish I coulda gotten that point across to more cops, Calvin....so many wouldn't listen and bought a holster that didn't even fit their gun right...let alone them...we weren't making much, but I needed all the help I could get...much more so now, when us old guys CCW we'll either never need it or need it real badly no second chance...our gear had better be as good as our gun or it might cost us our hindquarters!!! Spend the money ONCE....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a few so far my fav is the uncle mikes kydex unit but the vest sestem that i rigged up works and feels good also i paid like 70 bux for the vest it came with the pistol belt that is removable it also has like 10 11 mag holders 2 are detachable and work nice with the belt i rairly wear the vest as a whole i was just wondering what you guys have and like..i cant ccw not old enough just like having something other than a pocket on a pair of cargo pants lol right now i cant see spending 100.00+ bux on a holster when i just go to the desert and shoot paper or what ever i can find out here better spent on ammo.... but thx everyone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts