Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger AR556 MPR 18"
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, quite recently, a buddy of mine hit me up and asked me if we could go to the range and shoot a bit. He had himself a Tikka T3, a really nice Finnish bolt gun, for hunting. Of course, I said yes, thinking that only him would turn up and we would be popping off some rounds at the 300 yard line.

I loaded up my blasters in the car and drove off to the range to meet him up, and I noticed that he had his recent girlfriend there with him. You know, sometimes you can just tell that somebody is dumb by looking at them - and Good Lord, did she seem stupid just by a glance. I thought, well, I've trained plenty of conscripts on how to shoot that had no previous experience, so I might as well give her a shot.

We exchanged pleasantries and headed up to the 50-yard line to check zero and let my friend try a few rounds, as he had never shot an AR-15 before. So far, so good. Now the mayhem begins.

I noted his girlfriend being quite rude towards my buddy, being all pushy, generally sour and arrogant. She also had a hunting license, just like him, and she could handle firearms, dammit! I noted that when she cradled his bolt gun, the barrel was swinging quite wildly but she wasn't close to flagging us, so I didn't intervene. She complained greatly about my buddy's eyesight and that his scope sucked and she couldn't see anything in it (he had a really nice Leupold scope :ROFLMAO:). She shot a few rounds with it and barely even hit the target.

Then she got to try my AR. I went through the necessities on how to operate it, she slammed the magazine in, I had to rack it for her. She disengaged the safety, and BANG!
I am usually not a jumpy guy, but I didn't have time to put my hearing protection on, and the MPR is a really loud lady with that radial compensator. Dirt kicked up from about five feet ahead of us, and of course, she had shot right through my buddy's rifle rest.

Needless to say, we didn't go shooting with the Glock afterwards. And she didn't shoot any more rounds that day.

Rule #3, folks!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
So, quite recently, a buddy of mine hit me up and asked me if we could go to the range and shoot a bit. He had himself a Tikka T3, a really nice Finnish bolt gun, for hunting. Of course, I said yes, thinking that only him would turn up and we would be popping off some rounds at the 300 yard line.

I loaded up my blasters in the car and drove off to the range to meet him up, and I noticed that he had his recent girlfriend there with him. You know, sometimes you can just tell that somebody is dumb by looking at them - and Good Lord, did she seem stupid just by a glance. I thought, well, I've trained plenty of conscripts on how to shoot that had no previous experience, so I might as well give her a shot.

We exchanged pleasantries and headed up to the 50-yard line to check zero and let my friend try a few rounds, as he had never shot an AR-15 before. So far, so good. Now the mayhem begins.

I noted his girlfriend being quite rude towards my buddy, being all pushy, generally sour and arrogant. She also had a hunting license, just like him, and she could handle firearms, dammit! I noted that when she cradled his bolt gun, the barrel was quite wildly but she wasn't close to flagging us, so I didn't intervene. She complained greatly about my buddy's eyesight and that his scope sucked and she couldn't see anything in it (he had a really nice Leupold scope :ROFLMAO:). She shot a few rounds with it and barely even hit the target.

Then she got to try my AR. I went through the necessities on how to operate it, she slammed the magazine in, I had to rack it for her. She disengaged the safety, and BANG!
I am usually not a jumpy guy, but I didn't have time to put my hearing protection on, and the MPR is a really loud lady with that radial compensator. Dirt kicked up from about five feet ahead of us, and of course, she had shot right through my buddy's rifle rest.

Needless to say, we didn't go shooting with the Glock afterwards. And she didn't shoot any more rounds that day.

Rule #3, folks!
My rule of thumb, nobody touches my guns if I do not know you and have not seen you handle a weapon safely to my satisfaction. I have taught a few through safe shooting. This would include engaging safety. Have witnessed a few ng's, and honestly had a ng myself with a pistol about 8 years ago. But there are people not ready for the responsibility, those ones I like to weed out.

·
Registered
Ruger AR556 MPR 18"
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My rule of thumb, nobody touches my guns if I do not know you and have not seen you handle a weapon safely to my satisfaction. I have taught a few through safe shooting. This would include engaging safety. Have witnessed a few ng's, and honestly had a ng myself with a pistol about 8 years ago. But there are people not ready for the responsibility, those ones I like to weed out.
I am about to become the same. Life is too short to be ended prematurely by some dumbass that think they've mastered the art of weapons handling. The worst thing is that she was like "come on, how should I have known the trigger was that sensitive".

·
Registered
894 Posts
Time for a new shooting buddy. I would not go shooting with anyone who surprised me at the range with someone I didn't know. Unless they were strictly there to observe and learn.

Reactions: Scswolf

·
Registered
336 Posts
No one touches my tools (firearms AND traditional tools) except my wife and kids, and some time down the road a bit, my grandkids……….….if they turn out to be mature and responsible.

It‘s a policy that I had to adopt many years ago. Sure, it makes me a bit of an a-hole in some people’s mind…………….but I don’t care.
It makes things simpler, safer, and less costly.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Aren't you supposed to slam the magazine in, especially on a closed bolt/slide?

That aside, it seems to me that the time for putting on hearing protection is before the weapons start getting loaded. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, sorry to hear about your buddy's rifle rest. RIP.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Anyways, sorry to hear about your buddy's rifle rest. RIP.
Actually if still usable, it makes a 'good' safety reminder :) .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Truck [beep beep beep] backup sound

Let's just back this war wagon up a bit. I apologize to no one that I have never shot with. "These are the range rules that I require. You must be sure everyone has hearing and eye protection before ..." and a lot of other blada blada regardless of your experience. If you in fact have experience, you're probably happily receiving the instruction. If you're giving me "I Know That" feedback you have 1 chance at ANY safety failure and you're done. The 4 rules conversation ensues and you either comply or find somebody else to shoot with.

-jb, "yeah I know all that" gets you stink eye in my world

·
Registered
319 Posts
Unfortunately the most dangerous shooter on the range isn't the novice, it's the arrogant know-it-all. Tuesday I took a novice to the range. He had just purchased a S&W M&P Shield. Never shot a pistol before. He was an absolute pleasure to shoot with. He didn't know a lot, but he listened. Great experience for both of us, and there were no safety issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts