Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first time gun owner here. I just picked up a stainless SR1911 at the Raleigh gun show. It's the smaller model, 4" barrel I believe. My question is can I get a higher capacity clip that will appear flush with the bottom of the grip or is the 7" the highest I can use. If I get a longer clip that isn't flush, does it still function correctly? Thanks for helping the new guy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congratulations on getting your first gun AND for making a very wise decision on your purchase of the Ruger SR1911 CMD. The CMD is the shorter version with a 4.25" barrel. I have an SR1911 CMD and really love it.

First to directly answer your question. I am not aware of any magazines that are flush and have a capacity greater than 7. The 8 round magazines that I have all extend below the gun a little. Also, I have found that my CMD is 100% reliable with the Ruger 7 round magazines but my gun is not 100% with 8 round magazines. It is about 90% reliable with the 8 round magazines, but I carry this gun from time to time and only carry 7 round magazines in it as a result. I have tried 8 round mags from Ruger and Wilson Combat with the same issue of not 100% reliability in the CMD. The 8 round magazines have all been 100% in my full size SR1911.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to gun ownership. Now buy some ammo and start shooting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
How about 1 in the chamber and 7 in the mag = 8

If it's for CCW it should be cocked and locked, with one in the tube --right ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the replies and for not killing me for calling magazines clips. Joined and left a Facebook group today for brutal comments for a first time gun owner. I appreciate the patience!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new CMD. I have the 5" SR1911 and it runs fine with 7 or 8 rd Ruger mags.
This is a very friendly forum with lots of helpful folks and good info. Not like a lot of other places!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Joined and left a Facebook group today for brutal comments for a first time gun owner. I appreciate the patience!
being new at anything is a hard go, some people forget about the time they were the new guy/Gal. If someone truly wants to learn and progress at anything, they must explore knowledge basis, AND ask questions.

Not everyone wants to belittle other folks, but darn it seems there are a bunch of them out there. Blow them off, everyone has the right to be comfortable when trying to learn something.

Try to prove out the advise you get, read a little, study a little.
Sometimes with all good intentions the nicest folks can harmlessly give advise that may not be 100%

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Clip? CLIP!?! Clips go in your hair little girly man! Sheesh! :D :p

Just kidding. Welcome to rf.net.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies and for not killing me for calling magazines clips. Joined and left a Facebook group today for brutal comments for a first time gun owner. I appreciate the patience!
We'll wait until you've been here a month before that happens :eek:

I used to love the Raleigh show back in the '90s (when I lived in CH).

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum and, as you can see, nice folks, here, always willing to help. Really makes this forum special in my book.

As to your question, the grip frame length determines what capacity mags fit flush, but that doesn't mean you can't use longer and higher capacity mags even though they stick out the bottom a bit.

I have a little 6 shot 1911 and carry the the flush fitting 6 round mags for the sake of better conceal-ability and carrying comfort, but I also carry an 8 round mag as a backup should I ever need more shots beyond 6. The 8 rounder sticks out below the grip, but functions just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts