Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just ordered my first blackpowder gun, an uberti 1858 (not a ruger, i know :D). What would be the minimum gear that i need to start, if i have the gun, bullets and blackpowder.

I been interested in paper cartridges for a long time so i ordered a set to make them.

And also some repro cartride cases to get in to the old time feel. :)

I was thinking that i could also make some paper cartridge snakeshots from birdshot pellets?

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I used to shoot black powder for years with black powder crisco for lube and a powder flask to load and I used hot soapy water to clean the gun.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
My additions to the above: A good adjustable powder measure to verify spout pours, a push-button powder flask with changeable spouts, nipple wrench, bullet lube, inline capper (I like the Tedd Cash one), and a homebuilt loading stand. The loading stand securely holds the pistol vertically at the shooting bench for easier powder pouring and bullet seating.

·
Registered
549 Posts
:cool:
My additions to the above: A good adjustable powder measure to verify spout pours, a push-button powder flask with changeable spouts, nipple wrench, bullet lube, inline capper (I like the Tedd Cash one), and a homebuilt loading stand. The loading stand securely holds the pistol vertically at the shooting bench for easier powder pouring and bullet seating.
firescout, do you have a picture of your loading stand? I am interested in building my own, inquiring minds want to know. Keep yer powder dry......Robin :cool:

·
Registered
860 Posts
I used to shoot black powder for years with black powder crisco for lube and a powder flask to load and I used hot soapy water to clean the gun.
Me too, pounds of the stuff. But there is no limit you CAN need!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! I've been a BP revolver and inline single shot shooter for years and love it! I've found there are so many neato accessories one can find a need for that my range bag has grown heavy. I use Triple Seven in my four Ruger Old Armys and CVA Optima V2 Pistol.
Don't hesitate to start casting your own round balls for the revolvers as soon as you can. I get pure lead from scrap roofing materials here in my area for 65 cents a pound. With commercial swaged balls here costing $14 a hundred, it doesn't take long to justify a $40 electric pot, a $20 Lee mold, a $15 dipper and a few other small things. I also cast 250 grain pure lead Lee R.E.A.L. bullets for my Optima V2 very cheaply. Plus you're already almost there if you want to branch out into casting for cartridge guns too!
Happy dance for you! Don.

·
Registered
188 Posts
John's Geology Field Trip, shooting hobby, horseback riding & TravelSlide Shows and stories

Nice looking Remington, Uberti makes quality revolvers !

That link above has lots of great information on BP shooting, john has a unique twist on old technology.

I bought my first BP revolvers this year also, they are Colt repops by Pietta a 1851 Navy and 1861 Navy both 36 caliber, I've only shot a cylinder full out of each so far but am planning on shooting a LOT more.

BP shooting is a hoot ! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Once again I prefer equal amounts of Murphy's soap oil, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Rubbing Alcohol, for a cleaning solution. Of course all I shoot is the real BP, in the BP guns. Like was already mentioned there are a slew of different things that can be used in shooting the BP arms of today, the rolled BP cartridges that you talk about I've used mostly in the old venerable Sharps rifles, and single shot muskets of years gone by. Never tried in any of my revolvers. Good luck in your adventures.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Uberti is a good brand, and something that I would order is an extra cylinder.
Maybe I have watched too many Clint Eastwood movies, but that is something that I would have.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well still waiting for my uberti 1858. Should be here in couple of weeks. Took almost six months.. In the mean time i've acquired lot of stuff for the black powder hobby. I've made some combustible paper cartridges and just made a patch of lubed wads.

Box Games Recreation Rectangle Brick

Metal

Rim Wheel

·
Registered
308 Posts
To keep things simple and easy: For range use, I use the 20 gr Pyrodex pellets. Good, light range load for any 44/45 pistol. Put one in, load wad, then bullet and cap. Alternatively I will lube/seal with Bore Butter to seal it. A proper fitting lubed was should prevent chain fires. For cleaning: Lots of hot water and wipe down with bore lube.

if hunting or in the field, increase your charge appropriately.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I make my own wads with felt, vegetable oil and beeswax. Change the amounts based on how hot it is. I also like to load down the amount of powder to make it cheaper to shoot, and use corn meal for a filler to keep the roundballs close to the end of the cylinder. I also shoot into a bucket full of sand (put my target on the open end and shoot into the bucket as it lays on it's side). eventually, the bucket fills up with my round balls, I sift through, recollect my lead, melt them down, and recast my ammo. Really keeps cost of shooting down. If only I could reuse the powder and wads :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was wondering is there a way to incorporate lubed wads with paper cartridges?

Does it do any good to put a lubed wad on top of the paper cartridge. Otherwise I need to make a paper cartridge that has the wad inside the paper and i dont know if thats an easy task to carry out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow that's a lot of effort to make paper cartriges.
Looks cool though.
I have found a 20 gr load is almost too light and I have to use double wonderwads just to be able to ram the charge tight.
30gr seems optimal for the length of the cylinder.
The difference. Between triple 7 and goex black is just the amount of fouling.
Both seem to shoot about the same I guess.
I bought a krist konverter for my Uberti. 1858 and shoot .45 colt in it all the time now.
It is a very accurate pistol.
Good luck with your new Uberti.
Give us a range report.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts