Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

This is the first forum I have ever joined as a Ruger single action enthusiast. After checking out the various discussions that are showing a lot of like minded folks that all seem to be great people, I was encouraged to give it a try. I was hoping for a little guidance due to a troublesome issue that I am contending with if anyone might be inclined. While I have HUGE hands, I thought the standard New Blackhawk grips for a .357 would be fine, but turns out not so much. The plastic thin grips that come with them these days were too small to fill my hand and I had two sets break just drawing the gun from a holster (My wife refers to my mitts as gorilla hands as I have a tendency to break things a lot with them). So, then I thought to have a nice set of Elk grips made for them to beef it up a little, but that is not working out either. Due to a childhood accident with a table saw, I have no ring finger and there is just not enough room on the grip for my pinky to help with control for a .357. So someone brought up the bisley grip and I think that may work great. I have been looking around for a while now trying to find one in SS in .44 special with maybe a 4 5/8" or max 5.5" bbl, but I cannot for the life of me find one anywhere here in the deep south. I was hoping to put the .357, which is just too uncomfortable to hold properly, toward some kind of trade as money is always tight, especially right now, but that only works if I can find one. The SS bisley in this caliber seems to be very popular, so does that mean there just are not any to be had? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I put these grips on my black hawk. They are knuckle savers . I think they were Patchmyre or Houge.
I had something similar to yours on my SBH........they we’re biting me in the palm of my hand so I went back to the factory grips. Definitely not as much to hang on to, but pain free shooting.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You might be interested in a set of extended Texas grips like these on my .44 Special Flattop. They extend past the bottom of the grip frame. I find them much more comfortable than standard grips. Oh, and welcome to the forum, lots of good stuff goes on here !
69D06A23-8FE0-4EB0-B856-EDC0E59E5353.jpeg

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Not totally sure what your exact needs are, but I will tell you what worked for me. I bought a relatively new Single-six, which I think uses the same grip as your Blackhawk. The grips that came on my Single-six were the checkered black plastic grips and they were too thin for me as I have fairly large hands. I didn't want the extended grips so I ordered a set of wood accessory grips made by Ruger. They are smooth finish and they are made of a simulated wood material and stained to look like wood. They look pretty nice and the big thing for me are that they are thicker and fill my hand better. I like to curl my pinky finger underneath the grips and these work fine for that. Anyway, that is my story.

Also, welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will enjoy it and we need all of the participating members we can get.

·
Premium Member
13,950 Posts
Welcome from Illinois.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,679 Posts
I'm glad to welcome another single action fan to the forum. I use the cheap Hogue Mono-Grip (about $15.00) to hold onto my .357 Blackhawk. The oversize grip to let your little finger get purchase is a better looking, but more expensive option.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Buckeye State ...

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,633 Posts
Doremo, Another welcome from Ohio! Glad to have a single action fan at the forum. Hope you stick around! This forum has some very good information and members that have a good safe approach to firearms.
*Good luck with the grip issue and your search for a revolver that fits your needs. Stock here in central Ohio has dried up because of the current issues but lately we have run into several SS Bisley's but with a stiff price tag. Keep looking and hopefully you will end up with one. I am still searching too but that is part of the adventure. I love those grips in post#2 on that BH. Those are the next ones I will test out for sure.
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

·
Registered
16,996 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Everyone,

This is the first forum I have ever joined as a Ruger single action enthusiast. After checking out the various discussions that are showing a lot of like minded folks that all seem to be great people, I was encouraged to give it a try. I was hoping for a little guidance due to a troublesome issue that I am contending with if anyone might be inclined. While I have HUGE hands, I thought the standard New Blackhawk grips for a .357 would be fine, but turns out not so much. The plastic thin grips that come with them these days were too small to fill my hand and I had two sets break just drawing the gun from a holster (My wife refers to my mitts as gorilla hands as I have a tendency to break things a lot with them). So, then I thought to have a nice set of Elk grips made for them to beef it up a little, but that is not working out either. Due to a childhood accident with a table saw, I have no ring finger and there is just not enough room on the grip for my pinky to help with control for a .357. So someone brought up the bisley grip and I think that may work great. I have been looking around for a while now trying to find one in SS in .44 special with maybe a 4 5/8" or max 5.5" bbl, but I cannot for the life of me find one anywhere here in the deep south. I was hoping to put the .357, which is just too uncomfortable to hold properly, toward some kind of trade as money is always tight, especially right now, but that only works if I can find one. The SS bisley in this caliber seems to be very popular, so does that mean there just are not any to be had? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
You might be interested in a set of extended Texas grips like these on my .44 Special Flattop. They extend past the bottom of the grip frame. I find them much more comfortable than standard grips. Oh, and welcome to the forum, lots of good stuff goes on here !
View attachment 145354 View attachment 145354
Thanks for the heads up. Tried their site, but they are mostly on backorders for now. maybe in the future!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Everyone,

Thanks to all the welcomes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the welcomes and suggestions everyone! I am starting to think maybe I should just begin looking for a good SS SA Ruger bisley .44 rem mag and just shoot .44 specials in it instead of trying to find a SA specifically in .44 special. The .44 rem mags are definitely more popular and available on the gun sites than the other ones have been. I was trying to keep the size and weight down for carry, but the ruger in both calibers seem to be the same frames and weight, so no real advantage in just getting the .44 special only I suppose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doremo, Another welcome from Ohio! Glad to have a single action fan at the forum. Hope you stick around! This forum has some very good information and members that have a good safe approach to firearms.
*Good luck with the grip issue and your search for a revolver that fits your needs. Stock here in central Ohio has dried up because of the current issues but lately we have run into several SS Bisley's but with a stiff price tag. Keep looking and hopefully you will end up with one. I am still searching too but that is part of the adventure. I love those grips in post#2 on that BH. Those are the next ones I will test out for sure.
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!
Thank you! I agree that current issues are probably affecting sales of anything right now. And while searching may be part of the adventure, I have been looking so long that I am ready for a sit on the porch with a cold beer and cigar at this point. ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
The Flattop frame is a smaller frame than the Supers, but finding one in a Bisley might be hard. I like the Bisley grip also, but I can live with the extended grips too. About the only one I can tolerate the plowhandle grip on is a Single Six. Good luck in your search ,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts