Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Ruger People...

New to your board but on several other boards with same name...good feedback..etc

My question is this...I wanted to get into Cowboy Shooting about 5 or 6 years ago at least now. I came across a very nice set of Ruger Vaquero SS Convertible Special Edition (old model) 6 guns with 5.5" barrels. It was a set that a guy had that was getting out of the game and he was selling. I purchased them and shot them a few times. I liked them cause they have both 45 LC / ACP cylinders so was alot of fun to shoot and I had a ton of ACP ammo. Anyway...I never got into the sport and now this is my mental issue lol I really like 4.75 barrels as opposed to 5.5 barrels. Is it possible to switch barrels easily on these to the shorter 4.75 variant? I am guessing no, but wanted to ask. I like the guns as they had an "action job" so the triggers are super smooth and the cylinders spin both ways without that clicking noise.

If that’s not an option (switching barrels) is a pair of convertibles something that is desirable for trade for a set of shorter barrel'd similar guns? I would want to stick with 45 ACP or 357/38 caliber as that ammo is alot easier for me to get then 45LC.

If someone would be so kind as to send me some ideas....I would greatly appreciate it and I will apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowledge here or specific knowledge to the SSAS world...

Thanks!!!
:D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Probably best to sell what you have to finance what you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI and thank you...

I am more from the school of Blk Rifles and 1911's etc...the "modular guns" so these are fairly new and unknown to me but I am thinking your correct. Reading some of the posts etc it seems like it would be way more work & not really practical to switch out barrels...

I will research the ones I have some more to get the proper info on them to better describe them in order to trade or sell. They are still in the Ruger Boxes so should not be too tough to figure out their model designations etc

I know they have had some work done. Do you happen to know the factory trigger pull wieght? I am going to take them to a local GunShop this week and see what these are. I didnt realise they were so smooth as they are the only ones I have had, but I looked at a regular untouched one and it did not feel nearly as nice, to me anyway....so gonna get that measured as well

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi Toby,
You can always have the barrels shortened,
it's not a big deal.
Trading guns these days seems to generally
lose you money....
There are many reputable gunsmiths that
can easily shorten the barrels to what length
you choose.
If you are still in contact with the seller, ask him
who did the triggers. SASS shooters know lots
of people that reconfigure guns for their hobby.

Here is just one option....of many.
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/miscconversionoptions.html
And...
http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp
Or Hamilton Bowen.....what a great guy....
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/workshop.html

·
Registered
496 Posts
If I had a set of those..I would NEVER touch them shorten them etc.. If you can afford it I would put them in the safe and pull'em out and shoot'em every so often..Then buy whatever I really wanted as well.. Easy to rid yourself of a weapon some times very hard to get on in return..Been there etc.. Sold a Marlin 336 and a High Standard..Sure wish I had them back now.. <sigh> Oh well..

wPm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you ALL for the great information!! Such a great board...

I am in SE Fla (Palm Bch Co)

I have looked around and the links about the gunsmiths, they are fantastic, looks to be about 200 per gun to shorten the barrels. Since I don’t shoot them often at all, I will prob just look for another one with a 4.5 barrels as for me its silly, just like the look of the shorter barrel...hardly a difference I am sure for my plinking skills...but my eyes just go for the shorter barrels...

I didn’t realize how hard it was to find the convertible Older Model Vaqueros with the two cylinders...

Anyone have any suggestions as to who makes a decent shooter grade SSA copy for plinking in either 45ACP or 38/357?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The old Vaquero seems to command a premium, which should give you some leverage. Could you look to trade for what you want? An alternative to cutting barrels and rewelding front sights is to put factory barrels of the desired length on the guns you have. NV barrels would probably not work, so you'd want 'original model' barrels -- try Numrich's Gun Parts. Try Googling Ruger parts and see what you get.

I have a 4.75 original Vaquero in stainless, and I love the look. I also love the artillery model (5.5) look. It's cool to see a little barrel stick out past the ejector housing. They both appeal to me. In any case, it's nice to see a FAT .45 barrel. : )

Are they blued or stainless -- or did you say...?

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are the SS models. I was gonna post a picture of them in my original post but I don't think I have the privileges yet on this forum. Its the model in the Ruger hard Plastic box that says "special edition" on it (front top of lid) 5.5 barrels in 45LC with the extra 45ACP cylinder along with it...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would never saw a barrel

Seems I've been around this question of modifying stock guns. If you have no interest in future value, whack away at the barrel. But the fact is, that we are outlived by our guns, and at some point in the unforeseen future, you (or your heirs) will be standing on the off side of a gun counter, selling or trading. Gun dealers live by an unbroken creed... They want NIB, and everything less than that goes south very fast at the bargaining table. A chopped, modified gun will drive the price down faster than a car with no air conditioning in Santa Fe. I don't care how professionally the work is done. Every penny spent is like taking two cents off. The fact remains that dealers love to sell stock guns, and don't particularly care for anything else for the simple reason that mods sit on the shelf forever, collecting dust. Even if the dealer knows he has a customer for the gun, he'll discount it on your end and make more on the sale. Modifications to a gun, no matter how sweet, depreciate the value at an exponential rate that never returns. Funny but true.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
You can always have the barrels shortened, it's not a big deal.
What he said. That's the way you should go. IMO Cut 'em to the length you prefer and enjoy shooting them.

I too prefer the 4 ⅝" barrel. Or, you could even go shorter. The 3 ¾" barrel Ruger Blackhawks are really super cool looking and easy packin' too. Your matched set of Vaqueros in that length would be awesome. :)

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have had such a GREAT amount of advice and insight...

This is an awesome forum

I "think" right now I will either get one 4.75 incher like I like and perhaps shoot that and see how it goes...leave the others intact and if like the 4.75 as much as I think I will either sell or trade the others or just throw them in the safe and get another 4.75'r when the mood strikes me :)

If I run into a trade for a set of 357/38 in 4.75 I will probably trade but might just start looking for a decent used one...good thing for me is that I prefer a used guy with a few marks on it as I could care less about handling marks or guns that look used...I shoot my stuff so safe queens are not my goal so should open up my possibilities a lot more I think...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts