Ruger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the follow up. I hope Ruger can identify the issue and get you a more accurate, consistent rifle to enjoy. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks
2 days ago I received a UPS shipping notice and tracking number from Ruger... but no sort of email or communication from them saying what they may have found or fixed causing the problems with the gun.
When I sent it to them , I did include a note with the details of 6" to 8" grouping at only 100 yds, constant cycling issues causing it to jam and not chamber 2nd and 3rd rounds, and a unpredictable trigger.

Hopefully they will have a note or something in the box that details their findings and work that was done to correct them.
I REALLY DO want to like and enjoy this rifle for everything that I've read from happy and satisfied owners. I do hope it will become my favorite hunt gun. I am planning on doing my first Elk hunt this coming season and would prefer the American to be the rifle I choose to take.
I suppose we'll find out soon enough, as the delivery should be next Tuesday sometime.
Then I'll try to get it back to the range the following weekend and see how it does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well good news
I got the rifle back and Ruger apparently agreed that something was amiss.
They replaced the barrel, bolt, and trigger group.
They fired 2 sets of 4 shots each h at 50 yards and were getting 3/4" groups. Test targets included with returned rifle.
THANKS RUGER !
EXCELLENT Customer Service !
I look forward to testing it myself soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, I understand that, but I am also looking at it this way...
1- it would seem to be much better than the 6" to 8" I was getting at 100yds
2- I don't know how much time or effort was taken when the 8 test shots were fired, and the only thing they said about the ammo used was "Hornady". (They didn't say what weight or type).
3- I also dont know the test shooters skill level.

So to be fair, I wont really know how well it is doing, until I can get to the range and test it out myself. I'm hoping to take it out tomorrow morning (if I can get my butt up early enough). Its Super Hot here in Arizona right now and the range is only allowing every other bench to be used.
So that means I've got to be up about 4:30am to get to the range by 6am to hopefully get a bench and shoot a hour or two before it gets too hot.
They open the gate at 6:30 and there is usually a line of people at the gate who are thinking the same thing.
Temps for tomorrow are going to be 83 at 6am and 90 by 8am ... topping out around 110-112 later in the day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
^^^That's worse than Nebraska. It has cooled down here but it is supposed to be 95 degrees Sunday with stifling humidity (like always) . Today was pretty decent and I got a little shooting in again. I have had better groups but they were OK. The days are getting shorter and didn't get in as much as I wanted to but at least I have got it working pretty well. These were with 107 grain bullets which I know don't shoot as well in either this gun or the Savage 243. The Ruger is a nice gun and I am sure you will get it well under 1 MOA.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts