Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know right where this belongs...I'll just post it and feel free to move it if needed...yesterday about 5 p.m. I was sittin' right here on the compooter and heard a gunshot nearby-sounded like a shotgun...so I grabbed my umbrella...had everything else on me already...and headed out the door...met another neighbor (with empty pockets) out lookin' too...couldn't find anything and he said it was probably those ..(name).. kids over there...a couple of trucks sitting outside...I told him since he knew them go ask if everything's alright...he did and the boys (late teens) and Dad came out sheepishly...no gunshot...they'd been playing in the backyard and doing a "science project" one day after school let out...let me 'splain it to you all ...I can see where it might be beneficial for us to know it in times to come...they'd taken a plastic 20 oz. soft drink bottle...put a little warm water in it...added a few chunks of dry ice, and put the lid on tight...then chunked it out in the back yard and waited...they said it took about a minute...and sounded like a 12 going off.....they've also done it with a 2-liter and gotten a proportionately louder report....but not here...they said you must be 18 to buy the dry ice at the Kroger grocery...lied about their age...but that seems something that might be good to know and have in times to come...sure would have a diversionary and extremely distracting effect...and, as far as I know...totally legal to have and use (might violate noise ordinances)...might be nice to have in our bag of tricks....and what's not needed would make good icecream...sounds like a win/win situation...am I the only one who's never heard of this?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup-I don't remember how those worked...I do remember putting potatoes and snowballs up the schoolbus tailpipe....

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I leraned something today sheepdog thanks nice to know

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
sheepdog, it all comes down to one's "intent":

This is the definition under the Texas penal code.
"Explosive weapon" means any explosive or incendiary bomb, grenade, rocket, or mine, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury, death, or substantial property damage, or for the principal purpose of causing such a loud report as to cause undue public alarm or terror, and includes a device designed, made, or adapted for delivery or shooting an explosive.

But these boys could be looking at a 3rd degree felony in the "prohibited weapon" catagory depending on their "intent" and location. Back yard during the day is one thing, but--say for example, touching one off in school during a basket ball game would fall under this if it caused "alarm or terror" and it was their intent to do so.

Had recieved info about these last year and warned that some have been found to contain acid to cause injury/damage.

·
Banned
298 Posts
My dad learned that from a truck driver when I was about 11 or so. We spent many many hours doing that in the street, backyard, neighbors yards, from moving vehicles, etc. Still do to this day. Ma still tells him he is a bad influence.

The loudest was on the loading dock of a warehouse.

The trick is to use the strongest bottles you can find. You want the pressure as high as possible when it goes off. And screw the cao on super tight, use contact cement if you can.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I buy frozen mice for my snake and they come in the mail with some dry ice. Being a guy, I find dry ice fascinating, I just watch it smoke on the driveway. But this seems like a lot more fun.

I am also thinking that it might be a good groundhog deterrent. They're building condos underneath my shed. Maybe I should drop one of these dry ice bombs down one of the holes?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Dry ice is a new one on me... i've used WD40 in patato guns tho

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think they put two college students here in S.C. in jail a few years back for doing that or the Alka-Seltzer thing with a drink bottle on a campus.

Maybe you should call Home Land Security on them......

·
Registered
704 Posts
Growing up in the 50's, Dad refused to let me have any fire-works. Got a brick of .22's and a 1lb can of carbide,(for old fashioned miner's lamps) every year on the 4th of July.

At the time you could still buy the carbide cannons out of the back of Boy's Life, but they were a little pricey. Dad's answer was an empty paint can and 2-3 of my friends to take turns retrieving the lids after we launched them a couple hundred feet across the back-yard. About the same REPORT as a silver salute.

When we got worn out from chasing the lids, Dad would take us to the pit in the woods to plink with .22's. How many of you remember drinking a 12 oz. bottle of Coke or Pepsi ?????

Also along the same lines. Every once in a while we used to get a warming packet with our M.R.E.'s You had to add a little water to the packet,place it in the box with the MRE and lay it on it's side, couple of minutes and you had a warm entree. I believe this might have been a form of the old Carbide. If you dumped the contents of the warming packet into an empty plastic soda bottle and added a bit of water/replaced cap tightly, it also would grenade in a couple of minutes..... :D

·
Banned
298 Posts
Those little cannons are great. I missed out on all the fun stuff like that. Too young.

In college we built potato guns like it was our job. Four of us lived in this house. Three of us were (still are) in construction and the other guy is a big time hot-rodder. We had a dangerous combination of spare time, mechanical know-how, tools, and drinking. Our best potato gun had an effective range of around 200 yards. We also build a gas-powered skateboard, bikes, pressurized two-story beer bongs, etc. But for simple, clean, and safe, the dry-ice bomb reigned supreme. Our neighbors thought we were all off our rockers. I guess target shooting bows and skinning animals in your yard scares the college crowd.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sevral years ago I lived in Winona,Ms. and worked at the Supervalu grocery store there and some of the kids that I worked with took some acid used to clean driveways with and put in a drink bottle and put some strips of aluminum foil in and put the top on and threw it and it was very loud when it went off.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Yep. Back when I was playing Army, I used to take the MRE heater and ground up the wafer and pour it inside a 12-16oz coke bottle, put the lid back on with a jiffy and throw! KABOOM!!!!

I did it with small 16oz bottles, I bet the 2ltr sounded great!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to have the legal slant on it-figured it was exempted since no powder or flammables are used-but it makes sense-I guess the guys who flushed cherry bombs on the third floor of the school would be in big trouble these days[}:)] I'll keep this info filed under "Just in case..." and I've FINALLY found a good use for WD40-now to try it out[}:)]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.