1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for any comments or suggestion. First a few limiting factors:

1. I do not have an endless supply of money
  2. I am looking to purchase one more handgun
  3. I do not want to add another caliber (I have 9mm, 38 +p, and a 22lr rifle)

Given this, I am considering the following:
  1. Ruger LCR in either .22 or .38
  2. Some other mfg revolver in .38 or .22lr (SW, Charter Arms, Taurus)
  3. A small concealable 9mm (probably Ruger LC9 or SW M&P Shield)

I'm not a big fan of the LC9 trigger (from both internet and from checking it out at my dealer).

I'm not sure of the M&P shield CA compliant.

I am leaning towards a .22 or .38 revolver. .22 would be enough for a garage gun and would allow for cheaper paper shooting at the range. .38 would be more stopping power.

$500 is my price target. Cheaper is better but I'm happy to pay a bit more for a gun that will last a lifetime.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
How about a 357 mag so you can have some magnum firepower, but still shoot 38s in it if that's all you have or can afford? Nothing more durable or better built than a GP-100.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you did some looking around you could probably come up with a used GP100 (blued not stainless) for under 500 bucks...

It wouldn't be increasing the number of calibers, because a GP100 will shoot .38sp+P all day long and it also gives you the added benifit of using .357 ammunition...if so inclined.

·
Registered
129 Posts
LCR in .38. That's what I'd do based on your description of probable options.

Just my opinion, but I have one (along with 4 other Rugers) and that would be my garage gun.

Good luck!

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Do you mean you want to have a gun stashed in the garage so you can grab it when you find your house broke into? :eek:

Are the guns in your house locked in a safe when you are gone?

Will you have the one in the garage in a safe or with you when you leave the house?

If the answer to either question is no then assume whoever is inside will have them, and walking in to confront them armed or not is likely to escalate the situation.

It's one thing to defend yourself in your home, but if you are outside, stay outside! Nothing in my house I'm eager to die for.

Spend the $$ on a safe, alarm system, homeowners insurance and a cell phone to call police.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Do you mean you want to have a gun stashed in the garage so you can grab it when you find your house broke into? :eek:

Will you have the one in the garage in a safe or with you when you leave the house?

If the answer to either question is no then assume whoever is inside will have them, and walking in to confront them armed or not is likely to escalate the situation.

It's one thing to defend yourself in your home, but if you are outside, stay outside! Nothing in my house I'm eager to die for.

Spend the $$ on a safe, alarm system, homeowners insurance and a cell phone to call police.

Ditto the 'safety first' approach to this idea! The best defense is a good mindset...it's even more important than having the 'right gun' with which to defend yourself!

One other thought is...if it's not on your person when you need it, you may not be able to get to it in time!

If you are going to follow through with you original goal and keep it in the garage, I would recommend a small, hidden safe that can be bolted down and an LCR in either .38+P or .357 mag...if this for dealing with conflict, you want something that will stop someone...I wouldn't count on a .22lr for that level of conflict! Read up on a few of the larger cities (Atlanta, Houston, Miami, etc.) coroner's reports regarding actual shootings and the various caliber's different effects! It'll help you pick the right caliber for home/personal defense!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

All good points, but to answer, yes my guns are locked securely in a safe that is secured to the wall in my closet. And I am not suicidal, but the robberies are very quick 5-10 minutes in and out before anyone can respond. They don't appear to be armed intrusions, just smash and grabs. The one in the garage would also be locked in a safe or other secure location. I live in California and the government has very specific limitations to 2nd amendment, not to infringe on my rights but to protect me. ;)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments. Many are things I have considered including the 357 (may reconsider this) and the SR9c (would prefer a slimmer single stack 9mm for possible future ccw if/when I leave CA for AZ or some other gun respecting state).

I love shooting my friends 357 but if I go that route, I'll be looking for something bigger than the LCR.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My vote would be a good used 4" GP100. Reliable, accurate, good size and weight, practice with .38 Special, and put a whoopin' on some body with a good magnum load. Ahh giggidy!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I agree. I have shot the LCR's, and they were ok, but made for carry. If it's going to be a stash gun, I would go with a GP. I have the SP101 and LOVE it, and a GP would tame the rounds just a bit more and also give you that extra round.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Here's my 2 cents ..... a used 4" GP100 would be my first choice and is within your budget around here. I just picked up one for $404 recently and saw another a couple days ago in a shop case marked $499. Both were stainless. You'll never wear it out.

Second choice would be the M&P Shield (if CA compliant) since, like you, I appreciate the slim single stack magazine.

Wave

·
Banned
89 Posts
Have decided on walther ppq. It is 5-600 and the reviews are great like 1911 or better great It has quick defense trigger 5.5 lb break and reviews say less than measurable reset. A bit bigger but still marketed in compact range. They make in 9mm parabellum and .40. Good luck with whatever you buy and damn those sorry thieves.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Or a used "6" series might be what you could use. They're very reliable and shouldn't cost that much. If you get onein .38 it would be able to eat ammo all day with no problems and the .357 version is always a good optiion. Having one box of magnum around should not be a problem and outside of a little fun, you should not need more than a box unless you are expecting some major problems.

"I'm not sure of the M&P shield CA compliant (at some point the govt will embed them with the ability to disable in times of turmoil)."

haven't heard about this one.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Good advice with the recommendation of the GP100 or SP101. How about a 9mm revolver? Taurus makes the 905 and I have one and recommend it. How about a shotgun, I know you said handgun and not another caliber, but a 12 ga. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 is easily within your budget and excellent for home defense.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
SR9c.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts