Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 10/22 for about a year now. Since day one it has had problems with stovepipes / failure to eject.

This seems like a common problem so I've tried a few different types of ammo, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I only use Ruger OEM mags, and I have this problem with both the 10 round and BX-25. However the BX-25 seems to be worse.

I've upgraded my extractor to the Volquartsen, and this has greatly improved my success, but I still have a few failures. I am now only seeing this in about 1 in 20 shots.

Is there anything else to try?

Below is a pic of how the casing is getting stuck. The top casing is spent and is rotated 180 degrees. You may be able to see how the bolt has slammed into it and deformed it. The bottom casing is the new round being fed into the chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine stove-piped liked mad when it was new. Cleaning the action and proper lubrication helped. Also, about 1,000 rounds of bulk ammo.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Might try a lighter recoil spring. Kidd sells a set with normal, light, and heavy springs. Or perhaps some different ammo. On second thought, I want to say the ejector is bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can almost guarantee I know the problem. It is either your bolt or your bolt handle. I had the same exact problem in mine. I put a Tactical I
Innovations black bolt in it and problem went away. I had a JWH bolt in it before.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was having some stovepipes, especially when using Winchester M22 ammo. I stoned the sliding surfaces of the bolt, and inside of the receiver. I installed a Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor. Haven't had a stovepipe since, with any ammo.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I guess I'm of the opinion that if a 10/22 doesn't work there's something wrong with it, and the best thing to do about that is send it back to Ruger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got a new 10-22 Target a few months ago. From the start, jams and stovepipes. The bolt was covered something. I polished the bolt and inside of the receiver. I replaced the extractor with a Kidd and replaced the guilde rod with a Kidd also. no more problem.

I also found a mag loader was causing feeding problem for BX-25. I load by hand no problems.

Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
BakerBug

Does the problem occur with only one type of ammo? It seems that the fired case isn't hitting the ejector (which is on the mag.) hard enough to throw it out of the receiver. A number of things can impede the rearward travel of the bolt enough to cause this: dirty chamber, tight chamber, ammo, various out of spec tolerances in the bolt, guide rod, receiver interior, etc. Before making expensive changes eliminate all the simple causes first.

Compare the feed lips of the magazine with another or better try another magazine. If your magazine is out of spec. or not seated correctly, for whatever reason, it could dislodge fired shell from the extractor prematurely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts