Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a 10-22 that I put a Magpul hunter stock on.
If I were to trade this for the next step up in caliber, what does Ruger have to offer?

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,679 Posts
Do not trade off the 10/22. You would regret that. A .223 Remington is a good introduction to center fire rifles. Depending on your inclination a Mini-14, AR556, or American bolt action will fit the bill. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, recoil is very light, and the cartridge is accurate. Depending on rifle type it can have target, defensive, and varmint/predator hunting applications. The 10/22 will be a good companion to the .223 on range days.

·
Registered
418 Posts
.223/5.56mm, easy to shoot and usually easy to find but make sure to get the twist rate for the ammo you will shoot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
100% Agree about not getting rid of the 10/22. I would agree that, ballistically, the next step up is probably the PC Carbine, but I'd step to the AR556. The AR platform is just something that every gun owner should have because of versatility. The PCC I see more of as a fun addition to a collection, but not as necessary. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I haven't checked to see if it's still offered but I filled the gap between 22 and 223 with a 22 hornet. Granted that was back when they made the 77/22 H.

·
Cat Herder
1,632 Posts
If I were to trade this for the next step up in caliber, what does Ruger have to offer?
Next step up for what? The 10/22 is a plinker or small game rifle, rimfire competition, etc.

Technically the next step up would be 17 HMR or 22 WMR, but it depends on use. For home defense you might jump to 223, 9mm, 40, 300 blackout, 6.5 Grendel, etc. For deer and similar hunting you would not want the 9 or 40, for long range shooting you wouldn't want the 300. You could also go 357 or 44 mag in a bolt rifle.

My wife limits me to what fits in my cabinet, so I have to be very selective on what I have (and tend to buy/sell/trade a lot). I don't worry about a broad spectrum of calibers as much as having firearms that fill needs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ruger American Rimfire in 22 WMR - great little gun and accurate at 100 yds. Mine has a Nikon rimfire scope.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It depends. What is your primary intended use? Plinking, hunting, home defense, etc.? As noted in several comments, the "next caliber up" may vary based on role role you need it to fill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just my thoughts. My first gun was a 10/22 take down and I am glad I still have it. I liked it so much I decided to purchase a Ruger MPR 556 and like it as well, but still fun to shot the 10/22 occasionally. Whatever you decide I think you should keep the 10/22.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You might look at Ruger's American 22 WMR. Nice bolt action in blue or stainless. There's always the Ruger 9 PC if you can find one on the market.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just throwing this out there because you haven't said. For a reasonably inexpensive to shoot fun gun, I'd say AR in 5.56/.223., a mild introduction to centerfire. However if you plan to hunt with it, most states require a larger caliber than .22 making the 5.56/.223 illegal to use. If for hunting, I'd still say AR but maybe in 6.5 Grendel. Not as affordable ammo wise but comfortable to shoot. Heck you might even take up handloading. Good Luck! Oh and keep the 10/22, cheap and fun training for whatever you decide.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i'd stick w/rimfire unless you have money to burn... the 22wmr rifle sounds like the next step up... how available is .223 right now, and at what price? but i see there is plenty of 22wmr and 22LR... i just got 5K rounds of CCI SV LRN 22LR for the same price as 400 rounds of .223...

just my $0.02

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Exchequer
4,500 Posts
I'm late to this party, but I have to agree with those who advise against getting rid of the 10/22. My gut feeling is that if you do trade it away, you'll soon regret doing so. IMO, every shooter needs a reliable, accurate, easy to shoot 22lr -and that describes the venerable Ruger 10/22 to a tee.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There are never any good reasons to get rid of a firearm, and most lead to regret. If you like the semi-auto aspect, then a MSR in .223, or a Mini-14 will scratch that itch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts