Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New gun owner here. Got my GP 100 in April and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I noticed a few little nicks on the muzzle crown. Like a chip to the finish. Kinda looks like a little scratch in the barrel as well. Will this cause an issue?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wouldn't like seeing that either. However, I doubt something like that would affect accuracy in a handgun. Shoot it at 15 and 25 yards, preferably from a rest, and see what your groups look like.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I doubt it's going to have an effect, it doesn't look like much from where I'm sitting. A lot is going to depend on the distance you're shooting at though..........a rifle with a damaged crown can double the group size at a 100yds.........with a pistol at say 25yds your groups could go from 10's to 9's or 8's. As Terry said take it out and throw some lead down range, a true test would be to use a "hands free" rest to eliminate shooter error.

Reactions: mrcat22

·
Registered
540 Posts
As far as accuracy, only shooting it from a rest will tell. The second photo seems to show some degree of damage to the lands and the grooves. It seems to have the same shaped small mark in the center of the crown as the corresponding lands does. If I bought it new I'd contact Ruger CS about it. If it shoots accurately and you can live with it keep it. Resale could be affected if that makes a difference. As you probably already know, Ruger CS is the best. Unfortunately due to the virus repair time probably will take longer than usual. You could contact them by phone, then email photos to have on the record and maybe they'd agree for you use it until they get back on a normal schedule again. Good luck

·
Premium Member
13,950 Posts
Best bet would be to contact Ruger or shoot it off a bench rest. Those do not look to awful...............

Reactions: mrcat22

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok cool, thanks guys! Gonna take my first class this Thursday, so I'm gonna put a lot of rounds through it!

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
New gun owner here. Got my GP 100 in April and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I noticed a few little nicks on the muzzle crown. Like a chip to the finish. Kinda looks like a little scratch in the barrel as well. Will this cause an issue?
I had an identical crown issue on my 3" LCRx357. It affects accuracy. Returned it to Ruger and they installed a new barrel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had an identical crown issue on my 3" LCRx357. It affects accuracy. Returned it to Ruger and they installed a new barrel.
Aw man! I'll see what they say at my class this Thursday. Maybe I'll go ahead and contact Ruger if it's going to cause an issue. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Aw man! I'll see what they say at my class this Thursday. Maybe I'll go ahead and contact Ruger if it's going to cause an issue. Thanks!
I was surprised how that innocent looking damage threw the accuracy of the firearm off. I had moved the rear sight all over the place trying to "zero" it in. It wouldn't do it. With the new barrel it's dead on every time I shoot it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,172 Posts
The purpose of a crown is to provide 360 degrees of equal pressure on an exiting bullet. Any flaw in the crown will affect accuracy.

Crowns are affected way more with higher velocity bullets and more yet with light weight bullets. A 22-250 comes to mind as a very fast and light weight bullet (50gr bullet at 3800 fps) that needs a perfect crown. Handguns typically use much heavier bullets at way slower velocities so a tiny flaw may not make a notable difference .... but it can still make a slight difference in accuracy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The purpose of a crown is to provide 360 degrees of equal pressure on an exiting bullet. Any flaw in the crown will affect accuracy.

Crowns are affected way more with higher velocity bullets and more yet with light weight bullets. A 22-250 comes to mind as a very fast and light weight bullet (50gr bullet at 3800 fps) that needs a perfect crown. Handguns typically use much heavier bullets at way slower velocities so a tiny flaw may not make a notable difference .... but it can still make a slight difference in accuracy.
Ok thanks for the help. I had the gun store look at it and they said it's fine. But just to be safe, I sent a some photos to Ruger, since the finish on the crown is digned and I hadn't even shot it yet.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,757 Posts
Ok thanks for the help. I had the gun store look at it and they said it's fine. But just to be safe, I sent a some photos to Ruger, since the finish on the crown is digned and I hadn't even shot it yet.
I trust Iowegan before any old gun-store cowboy. Show the pics to Ruger. It should come from the factory perfect or they fix it on their dime.

Another reason I'm suspect of QC in any new wheelgun. I'd tell Ruger.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Any effect on accuracy will not be discernible.

Those little marks will have far less effect on accuracy than the person behind the trigger.

Theory vs real world.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts