Ruger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,169 Posts
oldag, It's not just theory .... it's real, however if you are a lousy shot, a corrupt crown may not make any difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hmm... So I took my first firearm training class today. Had a lot of fun finally getting to learn and shoot! My teacher said it will be fine, so probably too much hassle to send back for a little imperfection. I saw some G96 Gun Blue Stick on Amazon. I might try to just touch up those spots... to look nice, haha! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hmm... So I took my first firearm training class today. Had a lot of fun finally getting to learn and shoot! My teacher said it will be fine, so probably too much hassle to send back for a little imperfection. I saw some G96 Gun Blue Stick on Amazon. I might try to just touch up those spots... to look nice, haha! Thanks for the help guys!
Just keep shooting it and those spots will blacken right up.;) Enjoy your new revolver.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Defects the size that appear to be present in the OP's gun will not have a discernible effect. They are just too small. There is engineering behind this.

Get big enough crown defects and yes, it could make a little difference. But not what is shown here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an identical crown issue on my 3" LCRx357. It affects accuracy. Returned it to Ruger and they installed a new barrel.
The way a damaged muzzle crown affects accuracy, is by letting barrel gas tip the bullet as it leaves the muzzle. It's hard to tell from your photos if it at that point, but if you want to make sure it isn't, polish the entire crown evenly, with a muzzle polisher, a Cratex tip, or a lead ball mounted on a shaft, imbedded with fine polishing compound. Easy does it, you want the bullet to exit the barrel evenly, the critical area, is the exact spot where the crown meets the lands and grooves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah it's cool. I touched up the finish with some "Super Blue" I got from Bass Pro. Not gonna worry about it. Thanks for the help guys!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts