Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went out and bought some Hornady Critical Defense 45acp! But I is Nickel casing brass okay to shoot out my firearm or will it possible damage anything?

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,240 Posts
Those are my go-to factory rounds. You will not hurt a thing.

As this is a reloading forum, I will add some info about reloads, if you plan to do that. I use nickel-plated brass from Hornady and Speer to reload and some cases have five or more firings with no issues.

As with any straight-wall handgun reload, check all the case mouths for cracks. That is where mine fail first. Into the scrap bucket they go.

·
Administrator
22,748 Posts
Any you shoot off be sure to save the cases (If your range allows). You never know when you may start making your own ammo.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
I just went out and bought some Hornady Critical Defense 45acp! But I is Nickel casing brass okay to shoot out my firearm or will it possible damage anything?
Nickel plated casing are fine to use. Aside from its anti corrosive properties nickel case do feed better. That’s probably why it’s common to see nickel used in self defense loads. I’ve actually heard nickel is friendly to your firearm in the wear and tear department.

As far as reloading goes they’re good as long as they stay intact. If a case flakes and you resize it you will more than likely scratch your die which will scratch every case after that......

·
Registered
729 Posts
The plated cases are found on premium defensive ammo because they are more resistant to corrosion than bare brass. That is important for carry loads that may be in the gun for long periods of time. Critical Defense has a great reputation and will not cause any harm to your pistol.
I'll 2nd that. I once found an old box of .22 WMR that looked like Civil War Relics! I'm exaggerating a bit, but the brass looked awful. I have some nickel plated ammo casings that look just as shiny & new as they were 5+ years ago. I know, I should shoot them & replenish, but there's little replacement ammo to be found.

I also have 1 can of Federal .22 that's sealed & nitrogen packed. No oxygen means no oxidation (corrosion). I've kept it as my "doomsday" .22 ammo (325 rounds). I guess I can count on a squirrel a day for sustenance, plus some nuts & berries in between ...

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
I'll 2nd that. I once found an old box of .22 WMR that looked like Civil War Relics! I'm exaggerating a bit, but the brass looked awful. I have some nickel plated ammo casings that look just as shiny & new as they were 5+ years ago. I know, I should shoot them & replenish, but there's little replacement ammo to be found.

I also have 1 can of Federal .22 that's sealed & nitrogen packed. No oxygen means no oxidation (corrosion). I've kept it as my "doomsday" .22 ammo (325 rounds). I guess I can count on a squirrel a day for sustenance, plus some nuts & berries in between ...
lol lol i'm sure there are a few of the tree rats down around Grand River for sure ... i have one can of those 22 lr's you mentioned ... just can't bring my self to pop a top the can ...

·
Registered
729 Posts
lol lol i'm sure there are a few of the tree rats down around Grand River for sure ... i have one can of those 22 lr's you mentioned ... just can't bring my self to pop a top the can ...
I know the feeling! On the one hand, the temptation to break the seal is overwhelming. It could all be ruse since no one's ever opened one. Where are the glowing 5-star reviews of it surviving a rafting trip? It just might be the worst off-spec rubbish that Federal made, and we've paid a premium for "nitrogen packed." After at least 5 years, I just can't open it. But then I think, well what (who) am I saving it for if I never open it?
Drinkware Font Paint Serveware Plastic

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
I know the feeling! On the one hand, the temptation to break the seal is overwhelming. It could all be ruse since no one's ever opened one. Where are the glowing 5-star reviews of it surviving a rafting trip? It just might be the worst off-spec rubbish that Federal made, and we've paid a premium for "nitrogen packed." After at least 5 years, I just can't open it. But then I think, well what (who) am I saving it for if I never open it?
View attachment 156719
Truth be known, my SR22 hates this stuff. I bought it back when i purchased my SR22 and once i realized the pistol disliked it, i just put it on the ammo shelf and don't think to much about it. I cuss a bit when i have to move it to get something else off the shelf. For all i know it might work well in my 10/22. As you stated, it might be a ruse, when you pop it, how do you know it was nitrogen in there? I mean do the clouds part and the angels sing? LOL ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts